Author Topic: Solder or dipped terminal ends?  (Read 831 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Solder or dipped terminal ends?
« on: October 27, 2021, 01:17:44 AM »
Does anyone know what was used to coat terminal ends?  Like ground wires/battery cables? 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Solder or dipped terminal ends?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 05:50:35 AM »
Dipped in "no clean" liquid flux, then dipped into a "no clean" molten solder bath (solder pot).
It can be done also by hand-soldering.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:53:21 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 01:43:25 PM »
Does anyone know what was used to coat terminal ends?  Like ground wires/battery cables?
Solder. The process is called "tinning", and it's best done with a soldering iron, not a soldering gun. Other "tools" needed are a small bowl of water, a small piece of sponge (I prefer a 1 X 1 X 3 inch chunk), 60-40 solder, patients. The sponge is dipped in the water to clean the iron's tip, the hot piece being tinned, and to remove excessive solder from the hot piece. I normally use rosin core solder vs. acid core (availability mostly, it's what i got). Professionally, a solder pot is used (What? You don't have one?).
Here's one link from many that describes the process.
https://chicagoselectrician.com/mcc/how-to-tin-a-wire/
Be careful, it's hot. Ask me how I know.
Jim
Certified assembly technician/engineer, USN (three times), NASA, USA, USAF (twice)
PS: Add a pair of small pliers or a stainless medical hemostat to the tools section.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:57:06 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 02:10:20 PM »
Thanks, will look into that.

I've had some parts hot tin dipped and they came out shiny, so wasn't sure if same process for terminal ends as those are usually a flat/low gloss gray appearance.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 03:42:35 PM »
I've had some parts hot tin dipped and they came out shiny, so wasn't sure if same process for terminal ends as those are usually a flat/low gloss gray appearance.

Did you try the acidic wheel cleaner trick to try and dull them down?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 04:00:08 PM »
Did you try the acidic wheel cleaner trick to try and dull them down?

I had filler necks tin dipped and used a blasting/tumbling combination to dull them down.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 10:45:28 PM »
Solder. The process is called "tinning", and it's best done with a soldering iron, not a soldering gun. Other "tools" needed are a small bowl of water, a small piece of sponge (I prefer a 1 X 1 X 3 inch chunk), 60-40 solder, patients. The sponge is dipped in the water to clean the iron's tip, the hot piece being tinned, and to remove excessive solder from the hot piece. I normally use rosin core solder vs. acid core (availability mostly, it's what i got). Professionally, a solder pot is used (What? You don't have one?).
Here's one link from many that describes the process.
https://chicagoselectrician.com/mcc/how-to-tin-a-wire/
Be careful, it's hot. Ask me how I know.
Jim
Certified assembly technician/engineer, USN (three times), NASA, USA, USAF (twice)
PS: Add a pair of small pliers or a stainless medical hemostat to the tools section.
My first job ever was soldering gauge components for an aviation company.  I had to spend a lot of time training.  One of the things I was taught was to clean the solder joint with alcohol to remove the resin residue, as it will cause corrosion. 

I don't remember seeing tinned ground lugs, but then again, I don't look that closely at them.  Charles: which ground lug is that from?  I'd like to verify that it was tinned from the factory.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 12:17:20 AM »
My first job ever was soldering gauge components for an aviation company. 
I designed, tested and assembled lumped constant delay lines for early IBM computer use. The same technology was used to create acoustical delay lines for US Navy use. My "initial training" was in the USN as a radar and cryptographic technician. My delay line wire soldering training was provided by three ladies that assembled radios and radars for WWII use. All three knew both my grandmothers, who worked at the same plant at the same time.
Don't you just love history.
I had filler necks tin dipped and used a blasting/tumbling combination to dull them down.
I thought those were hot lead dipped, maybe a 90-10 lead-tin mix.
Jim
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 12:40:32 AM »
I designed, tested and assembled lumped constant delay lines for early IBM computer use. The same technology was used to create acoustical delay lines for US Navy use. My "initial training" was in the USN as a radar and cryptographic technician. My delay line wire soldering training was provided by three ladies that assembled radios and radars for WWII use. All three knew both my grandmothers, who worked at the same plant at the same time.
Don't you just love history.I thought those were hot lead dipped, maybe a 90-10 lead-tin mix.
Jim
Jim

Family history is always pretty cool.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.