Author Topic: Fastener Plating  (Read 1746 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Fastener Plating
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
I have about 10 or 12 pounds of bolts, fasteners, brackets etc. that I need plated.
Some need zinc.  Some need zinc dichromate, and some need cadmium.

Who can I send them to for plating that is familiar with Mustang stuff/colors and that
has been succesfully used before, by people on this forum?

66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Fastener Plating
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »
I have about 10 or 12 pounds of bolts, fasteners, brackets etc. that I need plated.
Some need zinc.  Some need zinc dichromate, and some need cadmium.

Who can I send them to for plating that is familiar with Mustang stuff/colors and that
has been succesfully used before, by people on this forum?
You will need to separate them by finish before sending them to however you end up using. Most don't have the knowledge and if you are lucky enough to find someone who does, they most likely will be hesitant to take the time. You are way limiting your options. Just say-in. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »
Bryan-
   I just ended up opening up the yellow pages and googled for my area, I was surprised how many plating shops there were within 10-20 miles of me and settled on one that was willing to work with me. I explained to them what I wanted, showed them pictures of my car and they've taken an interest in my project.
    The reality is with the small volume of parts most of us need when restoring one car, our requirements are pretty much a nuisance to most commercial operations. That said, most shops I talked to were willing to work with me because they were intrigued by what I was trying to accomplish with an old mustang.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
.............. That said, most shops I talked to were willing to work with me because they were intrigued by what I was trying to accomplish with an old mustang.

Agreed - you often can find someone that is interested in the depth and process we go through, even if its just a way form them to break up their fairly routine day.

This can translate into (sometimes) a better price or at least a little additional attention to detail and effort
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)