Author Topic: 65 engine to firewall ground cable vs 66  (Read 706 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
65 engine to firewall ground cable vs 66
« on: October 30, 2021, 02:47:30 AM »
I have been finding shorter ground cables on 65 cars over the years and never paid much attention to it.  Have had to shorten the reproduction wires in the past to get it right on show cars.

Recently went through my original ones and noticed that the short ones have an FDD-14303-A  SX  FOMOCO marking and are about 7.5" long, total length.  The 66 version is marked FDA-14303-A  SX  FOMOCO and has a total length about 10 1/4" long.

The engineering numbers match up with the 65 and 66 electrical assembly manuals.  Had originally thought that maybe it was the difference between V8 and 6 cylinder ground wires, but that does not appear to be the case based on the assembly manuals.  Most likely just an increase in length to address any stretching issues possibly caused by incorrect installation?

Would be interesting to figure out when the transition was from FDD to FDA wires.  Also, just FYI... the reproductions only are made with FDA and the longer length as far as I know.  There is also a reproduction marked with 'C5ZB' I think, which I don't believe there was ever a marking like that on an original ground wire.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 02:50:30 AM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 engine to firewall ground cable vs 66
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing will keep a look out. Going to likely one to document

Do you recall if 6 cylinders used the same as V8's since that would expand the data pool and likely be easier to see in pictures
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 10:20:38 PM »
Do you recall if 6 cylinders used the same as V8's since that would expand the data pool and likely be easier to see in pictures

Assembly manual had same number for 6 and 8 cyl, for whatever that's worth...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 02:01:47 PM »
The FDD-14303-A SX FoMoCo/Essex Wire (Ford production part made by Essex Wire(R) cable was a fairly widely used Ford piece in the 1960s. I know them from CSX2201-CSX2589 Cobras that used them.

Steven Juliano and his restorer tracked down some ex-assembly line "lunch pail" parts for the recommissions of Cobras CSX2416 and CSX2427.

Made by Essex Wire the ones in Cobras carried their company logo stamped into one ring terminal.

I did some drawings for a restorer some years ago. They were going to get quotes to have accurate for Cobras cables made but I do not believe any were.

The commercial reproductions we bought were generally okay but too long. The extra length and lack of stamped in "SX" logo on a terminal is not noticeable in a Cobra and serve the purpose for most cars.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 05:36:40 PM by Dan Case »
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 03:29:54 PM »
Nice.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.