Author Topic: Trim question  (Read 316 times)

Offline CKF1962

Trim question
« on: December 18, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »
Our 11/64 c code had a trim strip running front fender to rear edge of door, just above the top fold in the door, similar to the stick on trim/parking lot rash guards big in the 70's. Sorry I can't seen to find a picture.

I expected it to be installed with adhesive or double sided tape, but this trim was installed with sockets and had pins on the back, with a vinyl or plastic insert. It was also installed over a repaint. Was this a typical way to install trim in the day? I grew up in a Ford dealership and everything I ever saw was stick-on (I remember my Dad having it installed on '73 and '76 LTDs he drove).

I have never seen this on another car - obviously not factory option?

The car has no evidence of socket holes for the rr quarter panel accents, so the opinion would be it came with the decor trim option.

We are going to fill the holes with weld and add the 1/4 panel accents.

Very curious if anyone has any insights.

K

65 Coupe 5F07C355368
67 2+2 7F02T127000

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trim question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 06:41:53 PM »
Our 11/64 c code had a trim strip running front fender to rear edge of door, just above the top fold in the door, similar to the stick on trim/parking lot rash guards big in the 70's. Sorry I can't seen to find a picture.

I expected it to be installed with adhesive or double sided tape, but this trim was installed with sockets and had pins on the back, with a vinyl or plastic insert. It was also installed over a repaint. Was this a typical way to install trim in the day? I grew up in a Ford dealership and everything I ever saw was stick-on (I remember my Dad having it installed on '73 and '76 LTDs he drove).

Easy one

No that  side trim/molding would be aftermarket and possibly added at a dealership years after the car was first sold. Popular as mentioned in the mid to later 70's
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)