Author Topic: Need 2.5" Exhaust Clamps- Concours correct  (Read 4162 times)

priceless

Need 2.5" Exhaust Clamps- Concours correct
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
I have a 69 Mach 1 (2-V 351W) "H" code single exhaust. I ask Scott Fuller on another thread"Parts For Sale", if He had 2.5" concours correct Exhaust clamps for my application. He said the 2.5" clamp is not made and I might be able to modify a 2.125" saddle clamp so it would work on my 2.5" system. and that would probably be my only option. Yes, I've tried that "modify a 2 1/8 clamp into a 2 1/2 clamp",,,,NOT easy and usually will turn out bad. But, when I show the Mustang, MCA has,a few times marked off for my clamps not being correct...If a person cannot get these clamps(repo preferably), then how can MCA justify marking off points if I can't find them. Having to modify or fabricate these clamps should not be the answer, and in turn shouldn't be counted off for. Yes, I'm sure some of you are thinking," Buy some NOS or originals", but, the price is very steep for "NOS" or originals(IF YOU CAN EVEN FIND THEM IN 2.5"). Anyone have any kind of suggestions?     

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Need 2.5" Exhaust Clamps- Concours correct
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
You're about 1 week late, I just sold a set of 4 on ebay, they were all I had.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

priceless

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »
So, you had the correct 2.5" saddle type clamps? Do you know where a man might be able to get some? I can't see were MCA can justify counting off points for these "rare" clamps when you can't find them. And modifying a 2.125 is out of the question, cause like I said in this thread, modifying or fabricating them should not be the answer. Do I just have to keep watching Ebay? I've seen clamps on ebay, but, most are not the saddle type...Any help would be appreciated....Anyone out there????

I'm probably going to just end up taking the points deduction.....

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:27:06 PM »
You'll just have to keep an eye out for some.  Call around some of the obsolete vendors.

Probably one of those things that you may or may not lose a point for at every show.  But, you know it's something that you'll have to leave room for.  Might want to contact Scott Halseth at NPD or Brant at VA Mustang and see if they have any ideas of getting these reproduced.

priceless

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
Yea, I've done alot of business with Brant Halterman over the past 15-20 years, and I never even thought of VA Mustang or NPD. And I've also done quite a bit of business with NPD, I'll give them a try along with the obsolete also,,,,Thanks.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
BTW, here is the Ford p/n for 2.5" clamps:  D1AZ-5A231-D

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
According to Green Sales Company's website, they have 14 of the D1AZ-5A231-D clamps in stock.

www.greensalescompany.com

priceless

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 11:25:09 PM »
Just checked the Green Sales Co. website, and they did not have the D1AZ-5A231-D clamps in stock..Just checked as I'm typing this.

priceless

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:28:02 PM »
BTW, here is the Ford p/n for 2.5" clamps:  D1AZ-5A231-D
Also, why would a '69 Mustang use a '71 part numbered clamp..(D1='71 doesn't it?)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 12:24:57 AM »
Also, why would a '69 Mustang use a '71 part numbered clamp..(D1='71 doesn't it?)

It didn't originally - likely someone is using a later (most likely a 72 version) MPC to provide the part number for a service replacement. Since the engineering number is not stamped (don't recall it being there) on this item as long as it looks the same you will be ok. There are some D1 clamps that are just generic  (later service replacements)  that will not work for your concour needs

Looks like you only need one  at the Y pipe to intermediate pipe
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:23:25 AM »
Thanks for the input All...Yea, jeff, I've seen those generic clamps and knew right away was not what I was needing. Actually, I need two(2) of the 2.5", because I'm using a 2.5"where the intermediate pipe is connected to the muffler. There's been a 2.5" clamp at that location for years and I'd rather put one back there at the connection of the intermediate pipe and muffler since it functions and looks proper. I know the books and shematics show a 2.25" though. The intermediate pipe and "Y" pipe came on our Mach 1 from the factory...So, if anyone runs across a couple of these, please let me know....Thanks, Rich