Author Topic: "Paint OK" markings 68 NJ  (Read 8576 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Re: "Paint OK" markings 68
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2023, 12:20:28 AM »
This is the only posting I was able to find on 1968 Metuchen paint inspector stamps.

I assume this thread is still accurate although seems to be missing some photos.  Working on a May 1968 build now and assume Paint OK Adam was used in this time frame because I think that was also seen in 1969.  Any additional photos or input would be great if anyone has anything to add here. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: "Paint OK" markings 68 NJ
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2023, 09:28:29 AM »

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2023, 12:34:09 PM »
Thats perfect.  You must have knew I was going to ask that question!   :)
Marcus Anghel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: "Paint OK" markings 68
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2023, 02:57:33 PM »
This is the only posting I was able to find on 1968 Metuchen paint inspector stamps.

I assume this thread is still accurate although seems to be missing some photos.  Working on a May 1968 build now and assume Paint OK Adam was used in this time frame because I think that was also seen in 1969.  Any additional photos or input would be great if anyone has anything to add here.

From examples I have in one of my files from cars scheduled for May 68 at NJ I've got the following (Likely have more in picture form)

PAINT O.K.       MARTZ                On the PS transition panel   
BODY PAINT       O.K. 34              On DS Cowl
PAINT O.K.       #2 ?2                On PS Fender   
PAINT O.K.       Q. C. SPARE #3   On the PS transition panel   
BODY PAINT       O.K.  2?              On DS Cowl
PAINT O.K.       #2.-2                  On PS Fender   
PAINT O.K.       MARTZ                On cowl
PAINT OK              VENTRIGLIA         On PS Cowl
PAINT OK              KERWIN               On DS Fender

Thought it might be helpful to see a series of pictures of the Paint OK and the Body Paint stamps from a single car in a group to get a better feel and understanding so here are two. Both are 68 Shelby's so they would lack the hood stamp applied to the bottom side of the metal hoods on Mustangs  Both are in the 8T205xxx range. If it helps pictures are arranged as you would see them when standing at the front of the car looking rearward. Passenger side on left drivers side on right. Hope this helps

« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 05:23:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2023, 05:20:46 PM »
First thought I would post some examples from through-out the production year.

For a Mustang the location and area for the hood stamp is shown in that earlier picture. Mentioning this since allot of the markings we find today are on Shelby's so they didn't have that marking since the hoods for them were not installed at Ford.  For specifically the May 68 period and around that time I added some of those to the reply above.

8K views of this thread on this date. Must be a popular one  :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 05:24:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2023, 02:54:20 AM »
So we can assume the hood stamp and the fender stamp is the same inspector and the body paint on the cowl area is a different inspector.  Thats what I assume.
Has anyone seen stamps in or around the trunk area or on the trunk lid for the NJ built cars? 

Jeff...from your examples this is probably the most interesting one.  Never seen one like that.
2023-10-29_22-47-33 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

Ive also seen examples where the paint stamp on the fender looks like it was clearly stamped before there was any fender bolt installed.  You have one example shown that you posted.   
Marcus Anghel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 04:20:32 AM »
Seems that some Metuchen inspectors wanted to make sure you could read the stamping or someone wanted them clear so they could hold some one responsible. Have one 69 example where the inspector stamped a location three times all at different angles within about 6" of each other like he wasn't happy or trying to make a point or send a message to whom ever might be checking this sort of things. Workers were not always happy campers

Ive also seen examples where the paint stamp on the fender looks like it was clearly stamped before there was any fender bolt installed.  You have one example shown that you posted.   

Will check but of course that would support/suggest that the individual parts were inspected by another inspector, than the one doing the unibody, over near where the parts were painted in the plant like San Jose did through the years. Haven't sat down and laid the examples I have so that we could compare, on cars with multiple original inspector stamps still legible to see if they fit the same pattern as San Jose.  Maybe someone else has done that
Jeff Speegle