Author Topic: April 69 San Jose Front Fender Marker Light Wire Routing and Clip  (Read 1177 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: April 69 San Jose Front Fender Marker Light Wire Routing and Clip
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 04:22:01 PM »
If, for any reason, that harness needed to be removed, the Ty-Rap would be cut and odds are - not replaced. I'm thinking of possible reasons: fended removal; lower valence removal; bumper removal; light bulb replacement (What the heck is that thing doing there?). It's been 50 years.
I'm quite sure that everybody has a couple of spare Ty-Raps in their tool box. I sure do. /sarc
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2022, 04:41:59 PM »
If, for any reason, that harness needed to be removed, the Ty-Rap would be cut and odds are - not replaced. I'm thinking of possible reasons: fended removal; lower valence removal; bumper removal; light bulb replacement (What the heck is that thing doing there?). It's been 50 years.
I'm quite sure that everybody has a couple of spare Ty-Raps in their tool box. I sure do. /sarc
Jim

No reason to remove to replace the bulb since the zip tie is not between the bulb location and the first retainer. The marker is not attached to the fender its in the valance zip tie can be left in place and many times it is when the fender is removed. Just unplug the bulb, and then remove the wire from the round plastic retainer on the back side of the headlight bucket area or just detach the wire there and leave the valance in place. Just saying  :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 05:07:41 PM »
I point out my comment -
(What the heck is that thing doing there?)
Ty-Raps were relatively new in 1970, I think they originated in the 1960s. (We used Thomas And Betts Ty-Raps for cable installation on USAF ground facilities in the late 60s, early 70s. I got a couple of Ty-Rap installation tools somewhere in a tool box.)
It's quite possible that a car owner would simply cut them off. Back then, car owners were not concerned with originality or Concourse grade car.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Shelby50069

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 07:01:23 PM »
Original ty-raps are panduit brand. They're actually reusable and come apart easily.  Replacements are available thru Dead nuts restoration parts if you need any. They're used in a few other locations also.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 07:16:35 PM »
Original ty-raps are panduit brand. ..................

I've not confirmed that San Jose used the same supplier. Do you have an example from that plant and year?
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 08:44:16 PM »
Jeff

I do think SJ used the same Panduits.  But my unrestored car is gone and I can't go take a look.  You would think they would be the same as the ones used in the trunk?  Maybe you can tell from this picture.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Shelby50069

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 10:59:41 PM »
Yes, my trunk ty- rap and the side marker were the same.

Offline Shelby50069

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 11:01:22 PM »
I've not confirmed that San Jose used the same supplier. Do you have an example from that plant and year?
Yes, I have the 3 from my original San Jose car.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 06:03:43 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2022, 06:03:11 AM »
Jeff

I do think SJ used the same Panduits.  But my unrestored car is gone and I can't go take a look.  You would think they would be the same as the ones used in the trunk?  Maybe you can tell from this picture.

Went through and found about three dozen pictures with the trunk wire zip tie in them. Haven't gone through them closely yet.

The one in the red car picture you posted has the same features of the Panduits I have on hand. Since you posted this picture to the thread I assume that its a San Jose example. Interesting but not unfounded is the gray luggage protector but that's another and different subject
Jeff Speegle

Offline Shelby50069

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 07:24:13 AM »
Panduit trunk picture

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2022, 09:02:02 AM »

The one in the red car picture you posted has the same features of the Panduits I have on hand. Since you posted this picture to the thread I assume that its a San Jose example. Interesting but not unfounded is the gray luggage protector but that's another and different subject

Yes, same unrestored SJ car that the turn signal wire picture is from.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline specialed

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2022, 10:56:12 AM »
Jim did u red sj car use all 3 wire holders as in u photo it doesn't show the big J strap by side markers light. I usually see 2 out of the 3 different wire holders in different combinations of use. 69 Dearborn use the big J strap and pandit strap . I have seen pandit strap used under dash wires also and the  lh grey trunk wheelhouse protector used in late 68 to 70 NJ and DB cars.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2022, 03:34:01 PM »
Ed
No, there was only the Panduit and no retainer strap under the marker light stud on either side.
Jim
'66 GT FB