Author Topic: '65-66 holes in doors for interior decor package wiring  (Read 305 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'65-66 holes in doors for interior decor package wiring
« on: March 18, 2022, 05:46:24 PM »
I'm working on a '65 GT, built at Dearborn on May 21st, 1965.  I have what I think is the original door on the passenger's side, but it's too rough to reuse.  On this door, the hole between the upper and lower door hinges for the deluxe interior lights is drilled, not punched.  Is that correct?  I can feel a slight ridge where the hole was drilled and wasn't deburred after drilling.  Was that how the factory did it?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline jwc66k

Re: '65-66 holes in doors for interior decor package wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 06:18:25 PM »
Being that the hole is going to be covered by the feed thru grommet (I won't tell if you won't tell), you could use a Greenlee punch (about $30 for a 1/2 inch - exact size) or a large drill (about $25 for a reduced shaft 1/2 inch), I don't know what size you need for the feed thru (prices are for estimates).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: '65-66 holes in doors for interior decor package wiring
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 06:19:48 PM »
Thanks, Jim.  I've always drilled them with a step bit in the past.  I was just wondering how it was actually done on the assembly line.
Too much junk, too little time.