Author Topic: Alternator Fan Spacer Required?  (Read 675 times)

Offline 65IVYGT

Alternator Fan Spacer Required?
« on: June 07, 2022, 05:41:39 PM »
65 GT, May 17, SJ. I purchased a new alternator from Dead Nuts On appropriate for my car which has air/ps.  I also purchased a new "convex" shaped fan, which I understand became standard in "late May 65." Their website says that this fan "uses a 5/32" spacer (not included)." But, the alternator I removed had a "convex" shaped fan and did not have a spacer. Other sellers of this "convex" shaped fan make no mention of a required spacer. I know the earlier "flat" shaped fans required a spacer. So...because Dead Nuts On seems very reliable, I want to make sure I get this right. Does the "convex" shaped fan require a spacer? And...second question: How tight should I attach the fan to the alternator?

Thanks in advance...
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Alternator Fan Spacer Required?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 10:32:30 PM »
65 GT, May 17, SJ. I purchased a new alternator from Dead Nuts On appropriate for my car which has air/ps.  I also purchased a new "convex" shaped fan, which I understand became standard in "late May 65." Their website says that this fan "uses a 5/32" spacer (not included)." But, the alternator I removed had a "convex" shaped fan and did not have a spacer. Other sellers of this "convex" shaped fan make no mention of a required spacer. I know the earlier "flat" shaped fans required a spacer. So...because Dead Nuts On seems very reliable, I want to make sure I get this right. Does the "convex" shaped fan require a spacer? And...second question: How tight should I attach the fan to the alternator?

Thanks in advance...
Without the spacer you run the risk of the fan coming in contact with the alternator body. I would use a spacer like is typical if it were mine.I run the fan and pulley down with a impact until is is hard to hold.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 12:35:26 AM »
65 GT, May 17, SJ. I purchased a new alternator from Dead Nuts On appropriate for my car which has air/ps.  I also purchased a new "convex" shaped fan, which I understand became standard in "late May 65." Their website says that this fan "uses a 5/32" spacer (not included)."
Do you know what the Ford engineering or the Ford service part numbers are? Without them, there is no way to determine what is correct, and you may have wound up with a reproduction fan. You could enlighten yourself by looking up information in Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) a copy of which is in this forums' library.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 05:14:06 PM »
Finally found the package of 10, out on eBay currently. I knew I'd seen them months ago when I was also looking. Part number C5AZ-10A344-B, Another number below it: GY-808
Hope this helps out.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options