Author Topic: Is this script actually NOS??  (Read 1640 times)

Offline RichardM68

Is this script actually NOS??
« on: June 19, 2023, 09:38:19 PM »
Is this an actual NOS part?  I find it hard to believe this, and the box, have just been laying around for 55 years.

The stampings on the back of the "M" are "5808" and "16098-A".

Thanks,
-Richard
1968 Fastback J code.  My -exact- first car!  8F02J166xxx.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Is this script actually NOS??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 12:41:28 AM »
What numbers are on the box?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RichardM68

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 10:47:32 AM »
The end flap says "ONE C8ZZ 16098-A NAME PLATE W/ATTC PARTS". 

I just want to make sure this isn't a counterfeit part.

thanks,
-Richard

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 11:31:33 AM »
unscrupulous vendors, no names mentioned, have been known to put repop parts into nos boxes and then do not include the box in the sale. you're probably ok with this one.
5F09C331248

Offline RichardM68

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 11:42:01 AM »
That's the kind of nonsense I was afraid of.  This guy seemed legit but I still wanted verification.

Thanks for your input.

-Richard

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 01:18:46 PM »
In almost all the die cast parts that Ford used, there was a trademark - FOMOCO (in a rectangle or an oval) or FORD (in an oval). The Ford number was usually complete, although not always in a continuous line, and the dash number may have been a different location close by with a different size font. I have a few "odd" Ford die cast parts floating around - I am looking at a Mustang II fender emblem about 6 1/4 inches long and there is a tiny Ford in an oval. To be truthful - if there is no Ford (or related) logo - it's a reproduction.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RichardM68

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 01:21:43 PM »
Is that the case for the script too?  How would they fit a rectangle or oval on the back of the script?

Thanks,
Richard

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 01:42:36 PM »
The script will be wherever they can find a place to put it, assuming it's on there, and it could be very faint.  The pictures are not of high enough resolution to make out all the details.  As Jim mentioned, the part numbers are often separated due to room constraints, and often in different fonts.  They can look like a ransom note where someone has cut out different letters from a magazine.  It looks to me that there's a 'C8ZE' in the tip of the middle peak of the M, but can't quite make it out.  My guess is that there's a Ford script somewhere on it.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline RichardM68

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 02:05:15 PM »
When I say "script" I'm talking about the entire "Mustang" piece/emblem/badge, whatever else it's called.  I just looked closer and do see a very small and faint FOMOCO on the backside of the "N".  There is very little space on the backside for anything, but it's there.

Given that this piece comes in a Ford box, has a FOMOCO cast, and the seller has a great reputation online and has been around a long time, I'm leaning toward it being genuine.

Is it fair to say that if a part has FOMOCO or FORD cast into it, that it's genuine?  I imagine anyone selling (counterfeiting) parts would get a nasty letter from Ford lawyers over the use of their trademark. If someone licenses the TM, they disclose that fact, probably due to the requirements of the license.  That wasn't done here, so again, presumably it's genuine.

Thanks,

-Richard