Author Topic: 66 SJ Front Frame Marks  (Read 287 times)

Offline jwc66k

66 SJ Front Frame Marks
« on: April 29, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »
Admin Note: the following 4 posts were split from another thread related to 67 San Jose and different markings. Just to keep things separated and neat :)

The "white" markers on my car (Oct 65 San Jose) on the frame rails in the fender wells were chalk. The markings on the radiator support seem to be wax, as if done with crayons.
Jim
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:43:13 AM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 SJ Front Frame Marks
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 04:30:02 PM »
The "white" markers on my car (Oct 65 San Jose) on the frame rails in the fender wells were chalk. The markings on the radiator support seem to be wax, as if done with crayons.
Jim

Believe he is asking about markings made in other parts of the car and or wants a product that will hold up longer/better than the crayon though replicates the same look.  He's also working year so no fender ID numbers

Believe that after 50 plus years you can find examples were the oils from the application are gone and they can in areas dry up appearing differently from their original look.

They do make "regular" and permanent versions. Have a little insight to the subject sine we've been discussing some details
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:31:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 06:21:30 PM »
Jim

I don't think the SJ frame rail numbers were chalk, have cleaned that area on lots of cars and if it was chalk it would just rinse off.  Believe it was something like a wide paint marker or markal crayon type.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
I don't think the SJ frame rail numbers were chalk, have cleaned that area on lots of cars and if it was chalk it would just rinse off.  Believe it was something like a wide paint marker or markal crayon type.
You were right. The marking is more crayon like, and is yellow. That picture was taken in July 2011. The car is a San Jose Oct 65 build.
Some others of that year:
Steering stop marked "red"-
Tie rod end marked "blue" -
A-Arm installed -
The Dual Red Line Tire we sold you -
A Blue Heron in San Francisco Bay -
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:09:41 PM »
That tire was awesome!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 07:07:52 AM »
A Blue Heron in San Francisco Bay -
Jim

Jim, I previously thought you were the only one.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 01:01:44 PM »
Jim, I previously thought you were the only one.
Naw. I prefer duck hunting. Heron tastes terrible.  ;)
Jim

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 02:10:10 PM »
And here I thought Blue Heron was a boutique/craft beer...https://beerconnoisseur.com/beer/blue-heron-pale-ale-0
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 02:15:59 PM »
And here I thought Blue Heron was a boutique/craft beer...https://beerconnoisseur.com/beer/blue-heron-pale-ale-0
I prefer "beer", on hot days, otherwise, it's a Brandy Manhattan on the rocks.

Offline COBRAJET

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 11:17:25 PM »
I am restoring a 1966 GT mustang back to concourse I have found several markings in the fender wells and can make some out like the - 41 on the right side frame rail just behind bumper bracket I see what looks like A/C AND  P  and something after that and can make some numbers on the left frame behind bumper bracket that looks like 3 2 something and looks like a 4 on the rear end looks like a red 3 and a white check mark on the back .I found the white dabs on the front coil springs but nothing on rear leaf spring .The car is Vintage Burgandy with black pony interior has A/C Power Steering  8in traction lock 3:00 Pony seats  Rally Pack and Smog system .I tried to be careful when cleaning undercoating but with medium success  Any help would be helpful. Thanks Frank
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:38:58 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 04:57:21 PM »
I am restoring a 1966 GT mustang back to concourse I have found several markings in the fender wells and can make some out like the - 41 on the right side frame rail just behind bumper bracket

Covered earlier in a number of threads but here is the first one that came up in the search. Numbers used were limited to only a few - not every one between 0 and 9

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2257.msg11576#msg11576

I see what looks like A/C AND  P  and something after that and can make some numbers

Over or below black engine compartment paint? By your description guessing might be both

on the left frame behind bumper bracket that looks like 3 2 something and looks like a 4 

See above for the frame rail markings .

on the rear end looks like a red 3 and a white check mark on the back

Rear ends and third members often have more than a dozen markings depending on the application. Guess you've already read the article in the Library about basic paint marks. Check mark on the back if the housing is not common on all

.I found the white dabs on the front coil springs but nothing on rear leaf spring .

White is not an identification mark (to an application) showing that the springs tested outside the required range. So as to not waste anything Ford would still use them but installed a "match set" on a car

Depending on when the car was built the rears would have had spray paint dots or stripes. The dots don't hold up to rust and age as well as the stripes typically

IF your going to reproduce what you found you'll need to document them well and for some of them determine how you will reapply them correctly. Way too many pictures out there where owners/builders applied some marks over paint that were originally under paint. There is a thread on the site where I go through some of the steps I did preparing the bare metal, applying the crayons and overcoating them with paint when I resprayed the radiator support. You can barely make them out depending on the angle

Good luck
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 05:18:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 21.04

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 11:12:45 PM »
I recently acquired a July 1 '66 SJ projected build assembly GT HP convert.  I've got the front fenders off and inspecting the hardware in preparation for a t-bred restoration.  I was able to get a glimpse of a few markings and took a damp cloth to uncover them.  I've read several threads of other examples of similar markings found at the SJ plant used to aid in painting fenders same color as the car.  Passenger side frame rail and top of drivers side outer front fender apron have similar numbers.  Passenger side upper fender apron showing "D."  Would both front fenders had been marked (before or after being painted) with same numbers as shown on frame rail and fender apron?  I cleaned the under side of passengers fender down to the paint/primer and did not find anything anywhere. 
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 11:33:40 PM »
I recently acquired a July 1 '66 SJ projected build assembly GT HP convert.  I've got the front fenders off and inspecting the hardware in preparation for a t-bred restoration.  I was able to get a glimpse of a few markings and took a damp cloth to uncover them.  I've read several threads of other examples of similar markings found at the SJ plant used to aid in painting fenders same color as the car.  Passenger side frame rail and top of drivers side outer front fender apron have similar numbers.

Yes all three marks are very typical of all Mustangs built at San Jose in 65 and 66 Likely seen many thousands over the decades

Would both front fenders had been marked (before or after being painted) with same numbers as shown on frame rail and fender apron? .........

Fenders were not marked. The corresponding number (on frame rail) was on a label over the rotating set of hooks (thing dry cleaners system for example) where each fender hung individually

Passenger side upper fender apron showing "D." 

As mentioned the typical marking on pretty much all 66 San Jose Mustangs and Shelby's though the location could vary a bit depending on which of the three guys assigned to the task on different shifts or possibly a fill in guy every so often filling for illness or other reasons for time off by one of the regulars. The drivers side fender number was very likely placed where it was by one of the fill in guys since this is not the normal location. I've only seen it there a times on unrestored San Jose 66's. Might have even been from the same day and shift your car was built on.

Will merge this thread with the earlier main thread on this subject
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 11:37:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle