Author Topic: 70 FMX dipstick tube color  (Read 260 times)

Offline Big Al

70 FMX dipstick tube color
« on: January 16, 2024, 12:27:40 PM »
Just want to "weigh-in" on this subject (color), several points;
1)  My car is a 1970 (Aug '69 build, Dearborn) with a FMX, (351W) and the trans is original to car (VIN stamped).  The auto dipstick tube was painted turquoise.  I found Ironlak brand, Gloss Acrylic Spray Paint (rattle can), Iceberg/Light Turquoise as a perfect match.  I found this at an area Hobby Lobby.  (SKU# 334670  000703)
2) the MCA Rules for 1969 - 1970 Concours Trailered/Driven ('22 revision), call for the tube finish to be "Black Finish" with two exceptions for 428's.  I've been questioned by judges but haven't had points deducted (yet).  My point here is for MCA to review this and (hopefully) be in line with what appears to be a missing detail in the rules.  I put back my car's details as I found them (within reason due previous owners changes) but I've known restorers that use the MCA rules for these details and I can see where a turquoise color becomes black to comply with the rules. 
Thanks Big Al 
1973 Mustang Conv and 1970 Mach I

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 70 FMX dipstick tube color
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 02:20:10 PM »
looks like you have documented this. i suggest you contact assistant mca judge & bring it to his attention. we on here have no control of what mca does. in fact i believe that most mca judges do not read this forum or if they do they do not respond. we do have a few who are actively involved in both in order to improve the cars.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 05:15:56 PM »
That is how rules get better and better represent how the cars were truly built. As you likely have noticed most of the focus for 69-70 are the CJ and Boss models so many of the judges have allot of experiences and deeper knowledge of the other engine size and non- four speed or C6 details

Here are three more examples from 70 Mustangs

Considered moving the thread to the MCA section but will leave it here for now to hopefully get more views and possibly some more examples for you to use as evidence and support in your efforts as suggested in the post above.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 05:27:02 PM »
I sent a text to Ron Wheeler 1st-3rd National Head Judge and all around good guy.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 12:05:11 AM »
I have a 70 Dearborn with fmx and turquoise tube as well. 

Dan