Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

enamel or base clear

(1/6) > >>

notav8gt:
some say enamel and others say base/clear. I painted my svo with enamel and have been told repeatedly that I ruined the car. Personally I like the orange peel, it does not have alot, but some. What is everybodies take on it here?

J_Speegle:
Love seeing good orange peel on a restored car. Anyone and everyone is doing the dipped in plastic look which IMHO takes so much of the original look away from the cars.

Just me

thefordshow:
 If the goal is to restore the car just like the factory did then natural steel and cast parts should have NO protection. In most cases the orange peel would follow with dirt, grinder marks on lead seams, lack of paint coverage/dry spots on some areas, runs, blemishes, metallic sags in the trunk areas, etc... were do you stop?, or maybe you don't?

CharlesTurner:
It's a choice owner's make.  As Jeff says, lots of cars are painted incorrectly.  My painter does a great job with single stage urethane.

svo2scj:
You know Tony that is what makes this site really unique !!
You got three "interested" answers from Mustnag community collectors/restorers that offer "both side" of issues and you shouldn't come away feeling bashed !

PERFECT paint isn't what Ford applied on the line though the finishes changed as the years progressed !

I have a 85.5 SVO that is painted in single stage that gets great looks , attention and comments.  Not many have seen my 1969 R code, but we choose to use BC/BC as it is Acapulco Blue.   Either car shows well -but for different reasons.   With the SVO it is glass smooth, color sanded "rich" for a non metalic.  The SCJ "might be" overrestored with different peels (on the headlight buckets , end caps) and runs and drips put back where found in forensics.

SOMEONE is going to point that out -like with your car that just doesn't know , is used to the "Barrett-Jackson" look or thinks no time was taken.  Where in fact , so much time was taken that some things were redone more than once !

Mark 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version