Author Topic: Where to install the Electrical Junction Block for power top on a 69 Mustang  (Read 1153 times)

Offline agwinged

I purchased from NPD (p/n 14526-1C) a 1966 - 1969 Ford Mustang Electrical Junction Block for Power Top with Fuse Link made by Alloy Metal Products which I don't know where it mounts on the car.  Right now I have the power line coming through the firewall with the short fuse link harness connected to the starter solenoid so it works but I want to mount the correct junction block.

Anyone know where it goes and how it connect up?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Just in case it makes a difference in location - When and where was your car built?

Never mind (though its a good idea to include that info in every request here)- it appears to me that these were not installed on 69 Convertibles. All of the ones I have pictures of 20-30 cars from all factories used a fusible link  rather than this block that was used in earlier years. This is similar to the one in the main loom where it attaches to the starter relay  - though on that one it is installed to the end of the loom

Couple of examples below - hope this helps

Please ignore the comical application of decals from the decal "kit" 
::)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:11:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline agwinged

Thank you for the response.  It was built on 2/10/69.

I have the fusible link style but it burned up the other day when setting the timing.  Figured I needed something else maybe a combination of what I've seen on the 70's (breaker at the starter relay) or the thing I bought.  Don't need to be burning up the car. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Thank you for the response.  It was built on 2/10/69.

I have the fusible link style but it burned up the other day when setting the timing.  Figured I needed something else maybe a combination of what I've seen on the 70's (breaker at the starter relay) or the thing I bought.  Don't need to be burning up the car.
You need to find the reason for the overheating of the fusible link. A bigger or takes more to blow fusible link is not the answer. You may have a pump going bad or a bind in the top mechanism or bent ram that is causing the circuit to overheat (draw more amps). Fixing that problem will allow you to run the proper fusible link that was engineered for the system .I would at the very least put some lithium grease on all the joints and see if that helps the situation using the proper fusible link . It couldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 12:36:41 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby