Author Topic: TMI or Distinctive?  (Read 10183 times)

Offline sparky65

TMI or Distinctive?
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
I've been researching my options for recovering my seats.  I was kind of thinking the TMI stuff was maybe a little better.  Then today as I am getting ready to order things and checking prices I realize that CJ Pony Parts has 30% off interior which means the Distinctive stuff is now $56 cheaper then the TMI.  When we are talking about a black standard interior on a 67 what would you do?  :-\
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: TMI or Distinctive?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
go with the tmi. more folks have told me that is their choice too.
5F09C331248

Offline jim1946

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »
I just used the pony set from cj and am well pleased with them.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »

In a nutshell.... TMI is "more correct" with their piping and patterns, but Distinctive actually is made better with thicker padding and thicker material and lasts longer.  For a driver, use Distinctive, For showcar, use TMI...  That is the best answer that can be given.  It's your choice!  I've compared the two makers side by side many times..

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »
TMI Upholstery uses extruded (solid vinyl) welting cord/piping.  Distinctive is vinyl wrapped. 

The original was extruded and holds up much, much better than the vinyl wrapped.  This difference alone is enough reason for us to only handle and use the TMI brand, regardless of use for driver or show.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
TMI Upholstery uses extruded (solid vinyl) welting cord/piping.  Distinctive is vinyl wrapped. 

The original was extruded and holds up much, much better than the vinyl wrapped.  This difference alone is enough reason for us to only handle and use the TMI brand, regardless of use for driver or show.

Well said Brant!!

Offline sparky65

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »

Well I took a gamble and bought the Distinctive upholstery.  I figured the most I would loose was the return shipping if I didn't like it.  Now I haven't installed it yet and that will probably be a few months away yet.  Anyway I compared it to the original seats.  I will say that the welting cord is solid.   I wonder if it makes a difference on which color upholstery you need.  Maybe if you need a color other then black they wrap the black with the correct color.   I compared it side by side with my original and the only thing I can see different is the number of horizontal stitches in the seat backs.  It seems like it might have one more stitch then the original.  I doubt anyone will notice that so I think I will install the distinctive anyway.  Give me a few days and I will post pictures. 
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:42:09 PM »

Just a personal story from my own experience, but I'm sure that there will be a few "nay-sayers".

TMI - "True Stories"...lol....A few years ago, I lived in New York, Which is really not what you call a Hot state..Maybe 2 months out of the year..if that.

I had installed a set of New TMI upholstery on a daily driver '66 that I had.  Installation came out great as I have been doing professional unholstery for 20 years.  I literally drove the tar out of the car on a daily basis back and forth to work about 20 miles a day for a two year period.  The Driver's side seat literally "cracked" on one of the top side bolsters, and on right side on the seat bottom. The stitching literally separated on the left side seat piping bottom.  This all happened within a two year period.  I am not a heavy guy, about 176 pounds..which is average.  I was shocked at the damage all unfolding before my eyes..so after only two years, It was time to replace all over again.  A buddy of mine who was a Mustang Parts Distributor actually carried both brands and let me open a few boxes of TMI and a few boxes of Distinctive.  At the time, I was finally able to compare the two side by side...and the difference became quite clear.  The TMI vinyl fabric was actually thinner, and had thinner padding.  I held it up to the light, and I could actually see light coming through the stitchings. That's never good in any case. Then came the Distinctive test.  I did the same thing.  The Distinctive had thicker vinyl, thicker padding, even heavier stitching!!  I was literally shocked at the major differences.   Now TMI does have some advantages...but not in the wear characteristics area. That is for sure.  TMI has more correct piping, and crisper, more correct patterns as in the case of the Pony interior.  As I said up above, The choice is always yours.  You have to know what you want.  Take the test yourself.  Order both interior brands, Compare both, then return the one that you don't want. What will it cost you? Shipping?  All I can say is that I am glad that we have both brands to choose from. I've told this story before over the years, and here it is again..so decide for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

I was a Distinctive customer after that.. I was sold. Never had an issue again.

I would still use TMI on a show car though..One that does not see daily use as it is "more correct".

I don't know if TMI has improved since then... It's possible that they may have but I don't know.. I still love their door panels though!
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »

Hey, Someone had mentioned that there is a 3rd brand of Mustang interior available now.  Anyone know the name?  is this true?

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline yelostang

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
Have done a fair amount of Mustangs and use Distinctive. The one time I got TMI, had to send them back as the front seats had no listing provision. Vendor agreed that it was a mistake,but told him I'd stick with Distinctive. Saw a TMI pony interior in the 66 classic blue and white. The white color was was off-quite noticeable. The owner was disappointed also.
Have a 68 cvt with 66-7 special order red interior. Looking at the welting, it may or may not have "wrapped" welting but it looks good and see no reason to be unhappy with them. Their color is on the money and the person who installs interiors also says that Distinctive is heavier.
Had a 65 cvt in white Pony. Three years of use from me and 4 from the person who I sold it to andd nly signs of wear was grime. In other words, he did not keep after it! Any brand of white vinyl requires care. The welting showed NO signs of wear. T When he passed away sold it for his daughter, and the new owner called me about new covers and commented how good they appeared to fit. But after a person(HIM!) got in it with screwdriver in back pocket!!-changed to new Distinctives! Those covers were as good then re fit.
Will give a nod to TMI on cvt top boots. They have sewn in padding and the fit is good! as far as boots go!

Offline sparky65

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
Give me a few days and I will post pictures.

Took me a while and they are not the greatest but here they are:

I dont know if I like the way the bottom came out.  Not sure where the issue is but I couldn't get the wrinkles out where the seams intersect at the front and the outer edges along the sides toward the front dont seem to be sitting right either.  Seat foam is from dashes direct, maybe that's the culprit?  Or its the fact that this is the first seat I ever tried to re-cover.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 01:05:14 AM »
Don't care for the replacement foam.  I usually like to use some layers of Dacron on original foam.

The repro foam is most likely your problem.  The seats look too "poofy" imho.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline sparky65

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
I agree the seat does look poofy.  I am hoping it will wear in some.  I did put some stuffing in the bottom because I thought that may help get rid of the wrinkles.  Now that you bring it up maybe I should have removed foam instead to make it fit better.  The original foam was really shot on this seat and the bottom had a big red stain on it so I wasn't keeping it.  I am thinking about reusing the original foam on the passenger side but that may only make the drivers side look even more out of place.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
You're right about using old foam on one side and new on the other.  I don't think they would look the same.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 05:47:37 AM »
The TMI 67 upholstery ( all colors, especially the dark red one ) has a sort of golden glint. Is this ok?