Author Topic: Alternator Ink Stamp Discussion  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Alternator Ink Stamp Discussion
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
1967 Alternator.

- was only ink stamped (different colour depending version)?
(in my case red and 42 or 55, AC and power steering)
- ink stamped AND engineering number casted?

Thank you for clarification.
FYI 42 amp was orange and red was for 55 amp. Of course the stamp had different engineering number depending on application besides the color.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2019, 11:04:40 PM »
Just to give you a "visual" of what has been said, I have attached a few pictures if a NOS Service Replacement which is actually for a 1967 Bronco. Note that it is a 45 amp unit, and the printing is Black. Note the two different dates as Jeff mentioned.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »
Just so we don't get confused here ;) You should note that the ones pictured above is a 65-66 version/alternator rather than a 68 version

68 rear main case is molded differently and is shaped (center raised area around the rear bearing retainer) like a tear drop rather than a round one in those pictures

Here is a 68 dated example of a C6AF-B

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 01:58:26 AM »
Jeff : Yes, you of course correct. Thanks for clarifying that. My intent was just to show variations of stamping colors and more than one date stamping, but see how the actual Alternator picture could cloud the issue.

Just to be clear for Ralf, his 67 Alternator should look like the one you pictured, and with the appropriate color stamping as previously noted,

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
Ok, thx for clarification.

One thing......I saw Autolite as well as Motorcraft Logos casted on the backside....
Not the case in above pics.
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2019, 04:23:14 PM »
Ok, thx for clarification.

One thing......I saw Autolite as well as Motorcraft Logos casted on the backside....
Not the case in above pics.

All depends on the time period when the back half's were cast. You start seeing AUTOLITE castings in the later part of 68 production so it doesn't apply to this discussion
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2019, 09:23:59 PM »
Does the stamp in any way indicate the pulley style or just amperage?  More specific would a 67 hipo with AC and 55 amp alternator have an engineering number different than a lopo with AC (smaller pulley)?
Kurt.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2019, 10:29:29 PM »
Does the stamp in any way indicate the pulley style or just amperage?  ..

No the person stamping of the alternator would have no idea of what pulley would or could be installed later on the alternator
Jeff Speegle

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2024, 01:19:52 PM »
My 68 alternator needed an ink stamp and I could see that all the offerings on EBAY were nothing like the original as was noted on this website.  I made a stencil out of mylar duplicating the dimensions of some on the internet. It was not easy as some of the letters are small. Then used an air brush to put the orange lacquer on. I had to hand print the info at the bottom using a pen from Michaels craft store as well as the date. Then used masking tape to add the outline. Not perfect but hopefully good enough.  I laid the stencil on the alternator so you can see it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 03:36:17 PM by lightwtjet »
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2024, 10:01:50 PM »
My 68 alternator needed an ink stamp and I could see that all the offerings on EBAY were nothing like the original as was noted on this website.  I made a stencil out of mylar duplicating the dimensions of the dead nuts picture. It was not easy as the AUTOLITE letters are small. Then used an air brush to put the orange lacquer on. I had to hand print the info at the bottom using a pen from Michaels craft store as well as the date. Then used masking tape to add the outline. Not perfect but hopefully good enough.  I laid the stencil on the alternator so you can see it.
I suppose it depends on what your criteria for good enough is . If for you and you are satisfied then that is all that matters . If on the other hand you are trying for good enough in a concours event then it is quite a bit off of the mark. The Autolite letters and hand written letters and numbers are substantially different looking compared to original.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2024, 09:35:44 AM »
+1. in a concours setting i would deduct for workmanship.
5F09C331248

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2024, 12:28:33 AM »
   I was surprised that my attempt at making an imprint fell short for a MCA showing. I have tried to use original parts like my alternator when possible as many on this site have.
  The imprint topic started in 2009 and shows that an amazing 10,000 people have viewed it. And 460 have viewed my post showing my imprint attempt. Over the years, a handful of people have suggested various ways to simulate or buy an imprint and the ones shown are noticeably different than the original. I have to wonder if anybody has successfully duplicated the imprint to MCA standards for their own alternator. I was told the MCA requirement is stated like this " alternator must have correct amperage ink stamp".  Duplicating this very small (7/8 inch tall) imprint is further complicated by the data along the bottom that is only 1/8 inch tall. For those who want to use an original alternator what can we do?
Thanks for all the help in restoring my car. I look forward to sharing my experiences and opinions along the way.
Attached is the view of the alternator in the engine compartment.
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2024, 01:07:09 AM »
   I was surprised that my attempt at making an imprint fell short for a MCA showing. I have tried to use original parts like my alternator when possible as many on this site have.
  The imprint topic started in 2009 and shows that an amazing 10,000 people have viewed it. And 460 have viewed my post showing my imprint attempt. Over the years, a handful of people have suggested various ways to simulate or buy an imprint and the ones shown are noticeably different than the original. I have to wonder if anybody has successfully duplicated the imprint to MCA standards for their own alternator. I was told the MCA requirement is stated like this " alternator must have correct amperage ink stamp".  Duplicating this very small (7/8 inch tall) imprint is further complicated by the data along the bottom that is only 1/8 inch tall. For those who want to use an original alternator what can we do?
Thanks for all the help in restoring my car. I look forward to sharing my experiences and opinions along the way.
Attached is the view of the alternator in the engine compartment.
Close can be like horse shoe and hand grenades. Not meant to be rude but the reality is that your attempt at the ink stamp is on the wrong end of that close spectrum. There are many that have been able to make exact stamps. Dead nuts on is one example of a identical exact ink stamps .Go to his website and use his as a yardstick.  https://www.deadnutson.com/1968-ford-alternators-parts/    .  Others have worked on the art work and had stamps made up. There are people on EBAY that sometimes sell them but some are closer then others . Where there is a will there is a way.   The concours rules are meant to encourage a historical look. How you get there is the challenge. It is routine to find alternators stamped with correct amperage and even though it is not spelled out the correct  engineering numbers along with close enough lettering that it doesn't look out of place is expected too. I should also mention that the exact original alternator front and back case is expected .That is not a big trick given there were literally millions produced. Sometime you have to mix and match but they are out there as rebuilds ,junk yards etc. If you or anyone reading is not sure what they need you can go to the Dead Nuts On website and see the pictures and information that he has laid out. That is if you like to DIY like many of us. Jack also sells ready to go concours detailed alternators also if you would rather put your time in other places. With that said there are a lot of enthusiasts out there that have been able to get the job done. Don't get frustrated this forum is here to help.   

Offline tobkob

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2024, 02:36:55 PM »
[quote Dead nuts on is one example of a identical exact ink stamps][/quote]

+1...about 10-12 years ago I sent mine to them for a stamp and he also tumbled it... I was very pleased with their work...

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2024, 04:28:56 PM »
  The imprint topic started in 2009 and shows that an amazing 10,000 people have viewed it. And 460 have viewed my post showing my imprint attempt. Over the years, a handful of people have suggested various ways to simulate or buy an imprint and the ones shown are noticeably different than the original.

Looking at what has been posted all are of originals except for one side by side (one attempt verses Jacks reproduction) has been posted from what I saw looking through the thread

I have to wonder if anybody has successfully duplicated the imprint to MCA standards for their own alternator. I was told the MCA requirement is stated like this " alternator must have correct amperage ink stamp".

As has been mentioned many times on this site and others . What is written in the judging sheets and rules is only a very very small amount of what judges are looking at and evaluating at MCA shows. There is not enough space nor would someone want to pay for the expense nor carry such a book for each individual set of sheets that would be required if everything was listed. Often the notes show something recently added or something the judges don't want over looked/forgotten. Over time the well know (by that year) and enforced details are well established and dropped out of print to make room for newer details and reminders

Duplicating this very small (7/8 inch tall) imprint is further complicated by the data along the bottom that is only 1/8 inch tall. For those who want to use an original alternator what can we do?

As has been mentioned your left with purchasing a stamp that someone else has spent efforts and time trying to get correct, do what you did or pay someone else to stamp.

As mentioned we are here to help and often the help comes with a direct response and not always one that is glossed over since tons of people (members and non-members) read the posts every day and letting details that are not correct without a mention and some hopefully helpful comments will help others reading and viewing the exchanges. If they are not caught and comments the details will just be duplicated over and over on other cars only to be discovered by those owners later.

We have seen this over and over again during the past 40 years of doing this in one form or another. Better to find out before a car is taken to a show considering all the possible costs, time and effort that takes for many.

Jeff Speegle