Author Topic: 67 Tilt Steering Wheel/Column Discussion  (Read 21710 times)

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 Tilt Steering Wheel/Column Discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
Marty, the vacuum canister location is yet one more item subject to changes in 67.  Could also have been variations due to options also - but probably just a  running change thing.  The diagrams you mentioned generally are the latest revision, and show where they ended up (possibly in 68) - not where they started.  I've seen the early model year cars with the canister located directly below the passenger side hinge in the engine compartment.  On cars without, in that area there are two dimples in the sheet metal that line up with the canister bracket.  There is also reference to canisters that are mounted under the battery in the fender well (and subject to objects thrown by tires) but I have not seen one like that for 67 - I'm thinking 68 but don't have facts to back that up. 

I think there are other posts about this here - including style/location as well as hose type/stripe colors.  There are some older posts for sure on the vintage mustang forum if not here.

Some pictures below.  The one named 11-10-66 can is the style that I have also (Dec 66).  I have a collection of 3 or 4 of this type at this point.  Yes I can stop collecting now, I know.  But you know how you keep finding deals that you can't pass up?  As for connections, this style has two for sure, one to the manifold and the other to the column.  There is a separate metal check valve, stamped from a company called "Trico" or "Trinco" - don't recall.  I can dig that out and provide some pics if you need it.

The Cougars had a much larger canister for the hide away headlamps, located I think on the driver's side behind the headlight under the fender.

I believe that the early 67 tilt vacuum canisters were mounted under the battery tray as shown in the 67 assembly manual. I am attaching a photo of a 67 assembly line battery tray that shows the holes used to mount the bracket that held the tilt canister. I am still looking for the bracket that attached the canister to the battery tray. I do wonder if the car did not have AC if the tilt canister was ever mounted on the RH apron under the hinge were the AC canister was mounted? Am still looking for a drawing or a original car equipped that way. Marty
Trico check valve was used on the large early 67 can. In late 67 and 68 both the AC and tilt canisters were mounted on the wheel side of the apron.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
  I believe that the early 67 tilt vacuum canisters were mounted under the battery tray as shown in the 67 assembly manual...I do wonder if the car did not have AC if the tilt canister was ever mounted on the RH apron under the hinge were the AC canister was mounted

Your comment about AC vs. non-AC is interesting, although the 7R01A130xxx11-10-66Tilt-ACcan.jpg picture from Jeff shows the can below the hinge in an AC application.  I guess it depends on how early is early.

In late 67 and 68 both the AC and tilt canisters were mounted on the wheel side of the apron

Pictured below is a wheel side of apron canister location, 1968, courtesy of Dudley, for reference purposes.

Do you think if both options were chosen, the can would be common, or there would be two?  I'm thinking common based on research - although it is difficult to find definitive information on this topic. As usual, original cars are the best source. 
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »
Last week I was researching these canisters for our catalog. It looks like there were no less than three of them used from 1967-69.

From drawings, used examples, and the MPC's, this is what I found.

1967 used a double nippled canister that mounted down low by the battery tray, with an attached bracket.  C7ZZ-3E547-A
1968 used a double nippled canister, but it was mounted under the battery tray, behind the apron.  C8ZZ-3E547-A
1969 used a single nippled canister, also mounted under the battery tray, and behind the apron.  C9ZZ-3E547-A

We do not know if the change under the battery tray happened cleanly for 1968 or not.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:55:50 PM by krelboyne »
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 10:02:38 AM »
i was just checking for info on the holes for the AC canister, and i found this thread. i noticed today that there were 3 bumps under the battery tray, i guess that the bumps are there as a template for positioning the tilt canister.

i noticed that the AC can had the bolt holes punched through by hand, and the centre hole was factory pressed.
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
i was just checking for info on the holes for the AC canister, and i found this thread. i noticed today that there were 3 bumps under the battery tray, i guess that the bumps are there as a template for positioning the tilt canister.

i noticed that the AC can had the bolt holes punched through by hand, and the centre hole was factory pressed.
You are correct the three bumps are to position the vacuum canisters both for AC and Tilt

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »
I found the holy grail today a 67 Dearborn built March 27th 67 that had the tilt vacuum canister under the battery tray like the assembly manual shows.
Now the find or make a bracket like one in the pictures.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 01:15:50 AM »
Nice find Marty - well at least for the pictures ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 11:48:22 AM »
I found the holy grail today a 67 Dearborn built March 27th 67 that had the tilt vacuum canister under the battery tray like the assembly manual shows.
Now the find or make a bracket like one in the pictures.

+1 on a need of the bracket.

I realize this is an old thread and only recently became aware that there SHOULD or could be a separate canister for the Tilt wheel cars. I emphasized the word "should" because in my opinion, it hasn't yet been proven beyond any shadow of doubt, that ALL early 67's came with this canister in this location. Mine isn't there at present and has no signs of being there at a glance, but I do know the hoses were not in original condition when I first got the car back in '78, add that to the possibility of battery boil over plus some signs of minor corrosion on the battery box when I first got it, sure makes it possible the canister may have been removed.

I just bought what is claimed as a NOS canister off flea-bay that looks correct (right hose connections and size, with the stud bracket) but doesn't have the bracket to the battery tray. I would still need that.

Marty, did you ever find a way to duplicate this bracket, I assume yours was also missing by reading this thread. I could use the pictures in this thread as a guide, but if I could find the right one, better yet.

If no response to this here and possibly I will anyways, I may just start another request in "Parts Wanted"

Richard

Richard
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:48:21 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »
Gosh, you guys got me thinking on this one. My Metuchen, November 17th 1966 built non AC coupe ,has always had the tilt vacuum canister mounted next to the PS hinge. It's always been there since my family has had the car, since the summer of 1979. The PO was not the mechanic type so I seriously doubt he moved it from under the battery tray (if I'm interpreting this correctly). I have enclosed a pic of how it looks, and I have put it back the same when I restored it in 2000. One other question, my tilt works and then sometimes doesn't? Any known gremlins in this set up? Could the relay be going up?? Oh,, and this was factory option not added in its life..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:08:22 PM by Hipo giddyup »
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 09:56:24 AM »
Gosh, you guys got me thinking on this one. My Metuchen, November 17th 1966 built non AC coupe ,has always had the tilt vacuum canister mounted next to the PS hinge. It's always been there since my family has had the car, since the summer of 1979. The PO was not the mechanic type so I seriously doubt he moved it from under the battery tray (if I'm interpreting this correctly). I have enclosed a pic of how it looks, and I have put it back the same when I restored it in 2000. One other question, my tilt works and then sometimes doesn't? Any known gremlins in this set up? Could the relay be going up?? Oh,, and this was factory option not added in its life..

+1, my Metuchen '67, built in Dec. 66, non-A/C, also has it below the PS hinge on the rear fender apron.  It doesn't look like it was ever mounted under the battery tray.

Edit:  Hipo, I looked at your pictures again, and though I can't be certain (since I'm going off memory here), I don't remember my car having that bracket bolted to the bottom of the dash, where all of the vacuum lines plug in.  Mine plug into a valve that's mounted to the steering column.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:58:56 AM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »
 Thanks for the reply drummingrocks. When I saw that the 67's would have had their vacuum canister mounted under the battery tray I was second guessing myself. My brother originally purchased this car in 1979 from the 2nd owner. He wondered if someone had added the tilt wheel set up since this is a very basic - optioned car, but after see the original buck tag with TC, that cleared that up right away. This of course was before Marti reports, and he never knew of Ms. Emminger and her listings of Ford data. Again, I would bet money that this is exactly the way the car left Metuchen. Also, my father, our chief mechanic, had the motto of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so the tilt set up was never changed, altered or touched..

Lately, I still have the intermittent issue of the tilt-away wheel not working, then working again. Not sure if the relay is bad or if I have a bad vacuum connection somewhere. I guess I shouldn't complain for nearly fifty years of service! I'll add it to my "to do" list. ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:38:11 AM by Hipo giddyup »
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
I've never torn into my setup to get it working, but the previous owner said that when he hooked the tilt wheel back up (it had been disconnected), it worked backwards.  From what I can tell, the entire system is intact on my car, but the solenoid has been unplugged, as well as a few of the vacuum lines.  I'll get to it some day.  I like having the tilt option, but I'm not really a fan of the swing-away portion of it, so I don't mind that it's not working.   :D

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
... I like having the tilt option, but I'm not really a fan of the swing-away portion of it, so I don't mind that it's not working.   :D

Obviously, you've never driven a car daily that has this option. It is a really nice feature and how 1.) It "trips out" your passengers, and (the thing I like most is) 2.) How a vallet parking attendant responds to it...I haven't had a vallet yet that could return my car to me! (they won't even take a tip because they are embarrassed. That part of this feature STILL makes me smile!)

I think my car wouldn't be the same if it didn't work properly. Many options (standard these days on modern cars) are not missed if you never had them before, yet we wouldn't want a "new car" without those options now that we are "spoiled". This "old school" option, as rare as it is, is no doubt part of what makes the high option cars so unique. I'm sure in April 1964 nobody thought anything about having a Boss 429 Mustang or a Shelby Mustang when they first saw a 64-1/2 Mustang...but once you drive or own one of them, (a B-9 or Shelby) I'm fairy sure you wouldn't likely want just a 6-banger, "no frills", 1st generation as your only Mustang anymore. Part of how Mustang fever took over the whole country! Similarly, once you had a Tilt-a-way working correctly, it would be like taking away your "power locks and power windows" on your daily driver of today.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:24:33 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »
...I haven't had a vallet yet that could return my car to me! (they won't even take a tip because they are embarrassed. That part of this feature STILL makes me smile!)

I haven't met a valet yet that I'd let anywhere near my car!    ;D

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »
I haven't met a valet yet that I'd let anywhere near my car!    ;D

No, I understand as I wouldn't again either let ANY vallet drive my old 'Stang or even our newer '05 GT for that matter.

I was speaking from a "Back in the day..." perspective, back when it wasn't a big deal to leave a then 15 year-old Mustang with a vallet who parks Rolls Royce's, new Vette's, Jaguars & the likes. I never felt my, though extremely sharp looking at the time, still, old Mustang twisted the fancy of those kind of Yuppie vallets. It was kinda fun to get one over on those kinds of brainiacs ;)
Richard Urch