Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Wiring harness manufacturers

<< < (2/5) > >>

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on October 11, 2011, 01:16:25 AM ---IMHO we will likely find many different markings which may relate to different suppliers and or subs if we look across all the classic years and the three plants

Looking through one group of pictures I have with wiring labels I found the following in addition to the typical dates, FoMoCo and engineering numbers

SX-(small) w
SX-(small) R
SX-(small) A
SX-(small) L
(small) P (then large) SX
PAP
WCC
CCC in an oval
RMTE shaped into a right facing arrow (? on spelling)

--- End quote ---
Out of all of those WCC (Whitaker Cable Corporation) now defunct was the only one I recognized. They were a Ford OEM based in Kansas City. Bob

Murf:
A few years ago I was talking to Ken Rubin, the owner of Alloy Metal in New York.  His company makes reproduction wire products  and while we talked he told me that he had a print for the odd harness I needed because when his father owned the company they were a contractor for Ford Motor Company and had supplied Ford with the very harness I needed.  He did construct the harness and it was an exact duplicate of the needed part.  I have no idea what ID Alloy Metal Co. used on their production but I am certain that a company as large as Ford would have redundant suppliers of many  products they used.  Production of autos could not be stopped because some small company had a fire, an untimely death of the owner, or labor trouble, etc.  Ken has passed on so he cannot help with this but his company still makes some of the best reproduction wire products available.  The person running the business now may have some insight into how the Alloy Metal Products were tagged before sending to Ford to be used in production or service parts. 

CharlesTurner:
Ken was an asset to the hobby, it's sad he is no longer with us.  He had a pretty good sense of humor too!

James Thayer was Ken's business partner and from what I understand, runs Alloy Metal Co. now.

midlife:
Very Interesting.  I've now run across well over 400 harnesses and most don't have stickers left on them.  I've seen some variation in the color molex plastic connectors, and some discrepancies in the blue/red lamp wire colors (bright blue vs. light blue), but that's about it.  I don't pay attention to details of tape wrap directions, though.

Thanks for the info, folks. 

Andrew@MagMustangs:
I have also found the Name Riverside molded into some Plug connectors and also Xmii on Connectors and on Tags.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version