Author Topic: Need help identifying parts  (Read 2300 times)

Offline mustang.biz

Need help identifying parts
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:34:17 AM »
Can someone help me identify what these parts are for? I can't find any part numbers or markings.

These were in a large group of random mustang parts, mostly 65-68 stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Offline ruppstang

Re: Need help identifying parts
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »
Curtis,
I have restored all body styles 67-68 and do not recognize any of those parts. They may be part of another year?
Marty

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »
These are the inner plastic trim pieces for a '66 GT350 quarter window.

Maybe reproductions since I don't see any pop rivet holes-not sure.  I've never seen any NOS ones, but if they are original, I would certainly be interested in them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:43:57 AM by Brant »

Offline mustang.biz

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »
How can I tell if they are original or repro? I can't find any identifying marks on them.

I should add that the parts included 2 NOS '66 Shelby gas caps & a shelby style hood, so these aren't totally random. I sold the hood, sure hope it wasn't original  :o
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 03:51:57 PM by mustang.biz »

Offline Brant

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »
How can I tell if they are original or repro? I can't find any identifying marks on them.

I should add that the parts included 2 NOS '66 Shelby gas caps & a shelby style hood, so these aren't totally random. I sold the hood, sure hope it wasn't original  :o

Originals are a plastic material with the grain...pretty much like a kick panel.  I personally have not seen a reproduction that looks (or fits) exactly like the original.  Maybe a really sharp close up image of the grain would give me a better idea.

I do not recall any parts numbers or marks on the back side, but I'll take a look at some originals I have.  I'll also try and post some pictures.

Offline mustang.biz

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:04:16 AM »
I took some more pictures, attached. You can see full size versions here: http://mustang.biz/shelby/

They are plastic, smooth on the back side, grained on the front. The tabs aren't molded on, they are glued, as seen in the pictures. There is some plastic stuck to the tab, I assume it is from previous packaging material.

I compared it with this picture:  http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/26595272/mump_1002_02_o+tony_d_branda_performance+shelby.jpg and it doesn't look like those. Those appear to be fiberglass with molded-in tabs and not a smooth back.

Let me know what you think, I really appreciate the info.

Offline Brant

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
I finally got around to taking some pictures.  Here are some originals.  They look like yours.  I would be interested in purchasing yours if you are interested in selling.  Thanks.