Author Topic: PCV hose on 6cyl  (Read 7655 times)

Offline sparky65

PCV hose on 6cyl
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »
What does the correct PCV hose look like on a 6 cyl.  Mostly interested in 67 but my guess is it would be the same.  Should it be molded?  It looks like some people are using the ones reproduced for 8cyl but i dont think that is correct.  What is everyone else using?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: PCV hose on 6cyl
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »
Yes, smooth molded on the ends (well, at least one end from what I remember.)  I might have an original somewhere, but would take some time to find it.  Believe I also have an original PCV valve for a 6 cyl.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
As Charles wrote it appears to be formed at the PCV end

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
As I am working on the restoration of my 66 Sprint. I can't tell you how hard it is to find parts and this was a tough part to find since it's not reproduced. Since it's molded on one end I ended up purchasing a hose for a Camaro (sorry guys) and cutting it to size. I then had a stamp made using the MPC for the alpha-numerical code to give it the original look. Posted a picture below. I was able to find an NOS PCV w/ ID ring.

Dave

65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »
Wow! That's really looking god, Dave.
Say, is the blue over-spray on the exhaust manifold an original look?
And where'd you find the valve cover clip for the gas and vacuum lines? Did you car come with one? Mines missing.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »
As I am working on the restoration of my 66 Sprint. I can't tell you how hard it is to find parts and this was a tough part to find since it's not reproduced. Since it's molded on one end I ended up purchasing a hose for a Camaro (sorry guys) and cutting it to size. I then had a stamp made using the MPC for the alpha-numerical code to give it the original look. Posted a picture below. I was able to find an NOS PCV w/ ID ring.

Looks nice and that was innovative to find something that worked, but I have to question why you applied the ink stamp?  Most of the original hoses we are seeing on small-block V8's didn't have a stamp.  The ink stamp is almost always seen on the service replacement piece though... which as we know should not be a guide for restoring cars as they were made on the assembly line.

Guess I would be interested in seeing any original examples of the stamp to support why this was done.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »
And where'd you find the valve cover clip for the gas and vacuum lines? Did you car come with one? Mines missing.
Apparently the clip is the same as the clip used on the V-8 fuel line minus the bracket. Ref AM0156 (1966 Engine Assy Manual) pg3, item 12, and pg5, item 8. That answers the question as to why the V-8 clip has an extra "loop". In 1967 it is shown as 380726-S in AM0157 pg3, item 12. The "-S" indicated no finish but the V-8 reproductions are clear zinc plated. In 1969 it appears again, AM0159 pg 8 & 9, item 8, used on the 200 I6 and 250 I6. Engine Assembly Manuals are not available for 1967 and 1970 (and up), but I would assume the same clip was used there. In 1964 a different clip in a different location was used and the fuel line routing pages are missing from the 1965 Engine Assembly Manual.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »
I had done a lot of searching for a replacement hose for my restoration and some original examples but they are far and few between. As I looked through catalogs I was always seeing the V8 hoses with an ink stamp. Using the MPC I guess I was just trying to recreate what the replacement hose would have looked like. I don't have any examples to back it up, but intent was not to mislead anyone either.
For the exhaust I was trying to recreate how the painted engine would have looked and I believe the blue overspray is correct. The clip was the hardest thing to find It took me about 1 year and half to locate one. it was in great shape with the phosphate finish still intact. Here's another pic of the clip. Don't want to heist Sparky65's thread so will post more pics under a new topic.
Dave

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:12:51 PM by Twilight65 »

Offline sparky65

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:43:21 PM »
Since it's molded on one end I ended up purchasing a hose for a Camaro (sorry guys) and cutting it to size. I then had a stamp made using the MPC for the alpha-numerical code to give it the original look.

Dave that's quite a work around.  Can you provide more info on which Camaro hose and also a better picture of the stamp.  I am curious to know if anyone has found a stamp.

Apparently the clip is the same as the clip used on the V-8 fuel line minus the bracket. Ref AM0156 (1966 Engine Assy Manual) pg3, item 12, and pg5, item 8. That answers the question as to why the V-8 clip has an extra "loop". In 1967 it is shown as 380726-S in AM0157 pg3, item 12. The "-S" indicated no finish but the V-8 reproductions are clear zinc plated. In 1969 it appears again, AM0159 pg 8 & 9, item 8, used on the 200 I6 and 250 I6. Engine Assembly Manuals are not available for 1967 and 1970 (and up), but I would assume the same clip was used there. In 1964 a different clip in a different location was used and the fuel line routing pages are missing from the 1965 Engine Assembly Manual.
Jim

I looked into this and I can tell you that the reproduced one is different from my original.  My original broke while I was trying to install it.  :-[  Its kind of hard to explain the difference.  The repro has the entire top edge bent down to clip over the lip on the valve cover bracket.  The original has just a small section of the middle punched out and pushed down, the entire outer edge is actually bent up.  I was thinking of buying one and seeing if it could be modified but I haven't gotten to it yet.   I also dont know about the colors you listed but I am quite sure i found the original black under the blue paint someone added to mine.

For the exhaust I was trying to recreate how the painted engine would have looked and I believe the blue overspray is correct. The clip was the hardest thing to find It took me about 1 year and half to locate one. it was in great shape with the phosphate finish still intact. Here's another pic of the clip. Don't want to heist Sparky65's thread so will post more pics under a new topic.

Would love to discuss more under a new topic.  I have a question about your valve cover and exhaust bolts not being painted.  I thought I read both got painted.  In looking at the pictures Jeff posted its hard to tell in two of the pictures but the last one showed them not painted so maybe your right.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 10:35:34 PM »
It makes no sense that the exhaust manifold would have paint and not the bolts.  The only reason the exhaust manifold got blue over spray was because it was attached to the block when it was painted.

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 11:55:21 PM »
Your right Charles just hadn't got around to finishing the engine completely yet. I have yet to complete about 4 or 5 things which includes the painting of the bolts. Then my plan was to post pics of the completed detailed engine and transmission in another post. When questions were asked about the PCV hose and clip I figure I would post some pics of them to explain what I had done.
Dave

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »
Dave: No worries, thanks for the explanation...  ;D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »
Often comments are not as much for the poster (he/she knows their long range plan and if they have reached it)  but for the viewers and lurker who often only see the pictures and not the details. And you know we are all about the details ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)