Author Topic: Grease Seal -  (Read 3245 times)

Offline jwc66k

Grease Seal -
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:10:32 PM »
This is a grease seal used on 64-66 V-8 Mustangs. It is about 1 5/8 inch in dia and located on all idler arms to center links and on the non-power steering Pitman arm to the center link, although poorly documented. I took these two off my Oct, 65 San Jose build "K" Fastback. As far as I can tell from the Ford Car Parts book, Ill sect 32, pg 3, this seal is only used on Mustangs and 66 V-8 Falcons. It is not serviced as indicated by the star prefix to the Ford base number "3A196". The only markings on the part are "KF" and "14-190" on the side, and there is a 15 and 114 but I believe they are mold numbers. As far as I can tell, nobody reproduces this seal and the seal supplied in idler arm kits is a foam doughnut.
Brant, Here's another rubber item to get reproduced.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Grease Seal -
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
Pretty sure that 65-66 V8 all use the same pitman arm.  The seal is on the center-link on manual steering 65-66, not on the pitman arm.

Would definitely be a good part to reproduce.  I seem to recall seeing some with a C4ZA number molded into them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 11:44:16 PM »
I took two off my "K" car when I rebuilt the front suspension, one from the idler arm and one from the Pitman arm. I am reasonably sure the suspension was "un-molested". The Ford Car Parts only shows one identified at the idler arm but there is another something similar at the pitman arm without a part number. And you are correct, a candidate for reproduction.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:19:59 AM »
Yes, definitely 2 on a manual steering car.  Just thought it was worth a clarification that 65-66 V8 pitman arms are the same no matter if p/s or m/s.

I know I have a couple of these seals in the garage.  Nice detail piece that some may overlook.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
I just saw this post.  I've been busy and have not been on here for several days.

We have this part.  I'm so glad it is available.  In fact, I'm just getting ready to put some on one of my own cars.

I always post new parts on our Blog.  If you subscribe to the Blog, you will get each post by email.  To subscribe, just enter your email address in the box on the right side of the page and be sure to respond to the verification email that you should receive.

Click on the picture to go directly to the Blog postClick here to go directly to the part on our web site.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »
Brant,
Thanks. I'm glad you do what you do.
Jim