Author Topic: You Have Got To Be Kidding -  (Read 2932 times)

Offline jwc66k

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: You Have Got To Be Kidding -
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:35:30 PM »
Interesting that the caps are not neatly aligned.... maybe that is why it was still sitting on a shelf
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
I have one of those too. It also has the caps like that.Not 100% if it was a Mustang application. Some early 64 1/4 Mustangs did have tar tops . I am not sure if they are like the pictured one though. My first tar top picture I think I saw on a page in my first Chilton Mustang manual. The blue thin one. You can't tell if it is this battery though. This battery is narrower then the typical 22 F battery. That is one reason that I am sceptical if it is a Mustang application but the information is something I never pursued. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
Believe I have seen one of these before and it was smaller than a typical 22F size battery.  If I remember right, it might have been a tractor application or similar.  Don't know that I would believe the hand-written Ford number on tape as being correct.

Would have to see it up close to know for sure.  $1200 is not a bad deal if it's right.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »
Dimensions of the ebay battery are 9  1/4  x 5 1/2  x 8 if anyone wants to compare to a correct 22F.  Battery trays are 7" wide and original batteries and even the repro usually fill that out to the edge.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
 Charles, I believe the tape is factory correct with the engineering number. It looks like it was faded and touched up by some one who didn't know better.The 65-67 22's I have still have legible engineering stickers. It's my opinion this battery is prior(older) than 22 series Autolite. Still a pretty cool Battery.  Price would be a bargain for 65-67 22 Autolite. I'm sure you or Bob would have already hit the buy it now if it was a real 65-67 series 22?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »
Price would be a bargain for 65-67 22 Autolite. I'm sure you or Bob would have already hit the buy it now if it was a real 65-67 series 22?

Yep, definitely! 

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
This attachment shows a Export 64 Galaxie (early build ) with the shown group22 battery with the offset endcaps.

I'm wondering if there is a late (in-line caps) and a early (offset end caps) group 22 Autolite battery
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:57:34 PM »
Someone told me the battery showed back up on e-bay reduced to $800 start and $1000 buy it now. The critical items are: it may not be 100 pct factory for Mustang; after charging, you got a dead battery after about five years.
(Yeah, I know, don't charge it.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.