Author Topic: NOS C7 rear bumper  (Read 4208 times)

Offline ruppstang

NOS C7 rear bumper
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »
I would like your opinions. I got a C7 NOS rear bumper to day it is a very early one made in 68 and as far as Ford service replacements go it is pretty nice. I all ready have a chromed ford original on my 68 High Country Special and it is near perfect. The only problem is when they are chromed the witness line on the top surface is lost. Would you keep the perfect chrome on the car or the NOS with the witness line and a few imperfections? Thanks for your thoughts. Marty

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: NOS C7 rear bumper
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »
If you're showing in concours, probably best to leave the re-chrome bumper on.  Would hate to see points deducted for condition on the NOS bumper, but you have to agree that it might be possible.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
Shouldn't there be a deduction for the witness line not being there on the replate? My thought was I would rather get a point for the defects in the original bumper and have the witness line.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »
Shouldn't there be a deduction for the witness line not being there on the replate? My thought was I would rather get a point for the defects in the original bumper and have the witness line.

I guess I'm unclear about what you're referring to as witness lines.  If you have a pic, it would help.  Unless there was blatant grinding/smoothing of the original re-chromed bumper, I can't imagine any other detail that would be relevant to concours.  Maybe you're referring to the stretch lines around the license plate light area?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
I tried to take pictures last night but did not show up well with the flash. There is a slight depression midway  in the top surface that runs from end to end. I have asked platerer to try and save it and they say they can not. The reproduction bumpers do not have the witness line either. I will try a nother photo when we get a sunny day. Marty
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:33:51 AM by ruppstang »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »
Here are some pictures. It is hard to see in the photos but you can see the distorsion in the shine.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:44:55 AM »
Here are some pictures. It is hard to see in the photos but you can see the distorsion in the shine.
No but I can see a dirty a$$ thumbnail  :o ! Come on Marty clean your act up  ;D  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Bob,
I get my manicures on Friday but after the weekend in the shop they they look like that!
It frustrates me that you can plainly see the line but I can not seem to get it in a photo.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
Marty:  I think you're getting into a detail that very few know about.  I can't tell anything from your photos, but I think I know what you're talking about now.  I hate to suggest that something like this is a "Thoroughbred" detail, but that's what comes to mind. 

There are 2 ways to approach this.  Educate others on the detail, seek out original cars to document the detail and if it's something worthy of a rule update, make a recommendation to have it added.  Otherwise, keep the detail in your memory bank and know a little something others don't.

Oh... and try out these gloves sometimes:  http://blackmambagloves.com/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:58:35 AM by caspian65 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »
Bob,
I get my manicures on Friday but after the weekend in the shop they they look like that!
It frustrates me that you can plainly see the line but I can not seem to get it in a photo.
I am glad you took my teasing in the friendly spirit it was meant but I couldn't see the detail in the photo you were trying describe. Chrome can be tough to show things on in photos. Or maybe you are making it up (teasing again).  I however know what you are talking about because Jeff Y and myself have discussed it before a few years back when unpapering a NOS bumper and looking over its short comings. It is a small nuance worthy of being remembered . I have never tried to explain it and forgot about it until you brought up the subject. Thanks for reminding me . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
No but I can see a dirty a$$ thumbnail  :o ! Come on Marty clean your act up  ;D  ;D
The hands are the difference between a worker and a desk jockey.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
Quote from: jwc66k link=topic=4353.msg24323#msg24323 :o date=1330648069
The hands are the difference between a worker and a desk jockey.
Jim
Thanks for the positive input Jim but I would rather not think of where your hands have been . :o

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
Marty:  I think you're getting into a detail that very few know about.  I can't tell anything from your photos, but I think I know what you're talking about now.  I hate to suggest that something like this is a "Thoroughbred" detail, but that's what comes to mind. 

quote]
Thanks Charles,
I know it will never be a Thoroughbred but I am trying to make it as good of Concours trailered as it can be. Marty