Author Topic: 1969 Mach I upholstery question  (Read 2853 times)

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
1969 Mach I upholstery question
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »
Are the red accents in a Mach I's seat-backs and carpet mandatory features of the 1969 Mach I, or are there examples of legitimate Mach I's without them? Does it vary depending upon whether the car came with black, red, or white upholstery? I'm curious whether or not this is an indicator of a "true" Mach and how it would be viewed in a concours competition.

According to "The Mustang Recognition Guide", all '69 Mach I's had red trim above the comfortweave inserts on the seats, and red sewn-in floor mats in the carpet but that's the only data point I've found.

(Jeff, I see you answered a similar question last year on shelbyforums.com but it's not clear if your answer applies to Mach I's)
Phil
'69 Convertible - Dearborn June 4, 1969 - Raven Black & Red - 302-2V

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 Mach I upholstery question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
Are the red accents in a Mach I's seat-backs and carpet mandatory features of the 1969 Mach I, or are there examples of legitimate Mach I's without them? Does it vary depending upon whether the car came with black, red, or white upholstery? I'm curious whether or not this is an indicator of a "true" Mach and how it would be viewed in a concours competition.

From what we see on original cars (allot have been redone over the years) it depended on what color interior the care was ordered with in 69.

The red stripe would not IMHO be used to determine a "true" Mach I but instead something that would be present on some (interior color differences) if the car was a Mach I and had not been altered. Same goes with the carpet - generally the red inserts depended on the interior color. Though there are a couple we've found that don't match the pattern - likely a mistake/oversight or a supply thing for a particular plant and time

So currently I believe that the red insert on seats and carpet were dependent on the color of Mach I interior rather than those two features being on all Mach I's no matter the interior color

According to "The Mustang Recognition Guide", all '69 Mach I's had red trim above the comfortweave inserts on the seats, and red sewn-in floor mats in the carpet but that's the only data point I've found.

That is what we use to consider correct (likely influenced somewhat by things in print

Interesting that your using the Recognition Guide ;) have taken that book out in years.  What is it 30 yrs old??
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69RavenConv

• Owner since '74
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 12:00:03 AM »
So currently I believe that the red insert on seats and carpet were dependent on the color of Mach I interior rather than those two features being on all Mach I's no matter the interior color

Thanks for the quick response. So if I follow you, black interiors probably had red accents but not always. Red and white, not so much. Any given Mach I may or may not have them.

Interesting that your using the Recognition Guide ;) have taken that book out in years.  What is it 30 yrs old??

Copyright 1981  ;D  ... but the pictures of those 2 kids, Farr and Dobbs, in the forward are priceless.
Phil
'69 Convertible - Dearborn June 4, 1969 - Raven Black & Red - 302-2V

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:55:31 AM »
Thanks for the quick response. So if I follow you, black interiors probably had red accents but not always. Red and white, not so much. Any given Mach I may or may not have them

Haven't found an original white interior with red inserts in the seats these also never (ok found one) had red inserts in carpet - standard black carpet instead

All red interior Machs I've seen didn't use "mach I carpet"   either

ALl the 69 black Machs I've seen with original interior  have the red inserts now the black high back option (non Mach I) doesn't appear to have the red panel and these could be mistaken for Mach I seats. Saw an original one this last week at the Knotts show

(Corrected a incorrectly worded response - sorry)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:19:27 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »
I've never seen a black interior 69 mach 1 w/o the red carpet inserts and red seat stripes, including a nov. built SJ 69 I have.
This particular car has original carpet and seats.
Red insert on driver's side is getting a little worn and driver's seat has minor upholstery damage from a broken pivot pin back in the day.
Exterior is black jade with white/gold stripes.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20