Author Topic: What finish? Firewall "plugs"  (Read 1411 times)

Offline BillEBobb

What finish? Firewall "plugs"
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:23:32 AM »
Re: SJ a/c small block

There are two firewall "plugs" that seem to cover knockout holes on the firewall.  One is in the very center of the firewall, the other on the far left side left of the a/c hoses -- almost under the hood spring.

Both have a large diameter disk with a center machine screw held in place by an aluminum speed nut.

I cannot find these in the Osborne manual.  They don't hold paint well so I wonder if they were intended to be a natural bright finish.

Thoughts?

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: What finish? Firewall "plugs"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »
These are reinforcing washers for the evaporator on A/C cars. The ones I have seen are a natural with sound deadner applied over them. When referencing a car the rt. side is the passenger and the lt. side is the driver to avoid confusion.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline BillEBobb

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
Thank you.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
I've seen the large flat washers (with stud and nut) that hold the heater/ac case to the firewall and the plugs that fill the heater hose holes (for the non AC cars) blocked with round rubber plugs. Not which one of these two your referring to

All are covered with sealer - along with all the other attachments and pass-throughs on the firewall

Here are a couple of pictures for reference

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)