Author Topic: AUTOLITE FA-50 AIR FILTER  (Read 9962 times)

Offline shelbyboss302

AUTOLITE FA-50 AIR FILTER
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:20:29 AM »
Would like information on a the Autolite FA-50 Air Filter. What are the differences between assembly line and service replacements? What are the actual applications. Some say that these came with a star and some came without. What are the sources to even find one and approximate cost to purchase one. Were there different part numbers embossed on them? Can't seem to find any good information on Autolite Air filters and what actually came on our mustangs from the factory. Any links or info would be appreciated.

Offline specialed

Re: AUTOLITE FA-50 AIR FILTER
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:18:50 AM »
The fa 50 started in 68 & was used into the 70s. & used a c8af #. the first assembly line ones had star in top with square wire mesh then to diamond wire then to round hole no star then round hole motorcraft in service boxes.

Offline Dudley

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
my '68 still has the FA-50 filter. The only person that I know who has them is Bob Perkins.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:04 AM »
Would like information on a the Autolite FA-50 Air Filter. What are the differences between assembly line and service replacements? What are the actual applications. Some say that these came with a star and some came without. What are the sources to even find one and approximate cost to purchase one. Were there different part numbers embossed on them? Can't seem to find any good information on Autolite Air filters and what actually came on our mustangs from the factory. Any links or info would be appreciated.
The round hole Motorcraft ones typically sell on ebay for 175.-250.00 . The Autolite round hole are about double that ,diamond wire ones are about double that if you can find one and the square wire mesh one about double that if you can find one.Special Ed most likely has one if it isn't already spoken for.Others may have a different opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »
I saw a guy who has 3 NOS square mesh ones. I think he was a little bummed when I told him his cars took 41s
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »
Tim you must have been to the rocket scientist  place. Do you have any proof krs used the fa=41s as i have seen  & have photos of assembly line kr air cleaners with the square hole wire mesh assembly line only fa-50s. I know somebody claims that is why the engineering # changed but it makes more sense to use taller fa-50 filter since there is no hood clearance issue & taller filter will allow more air flow since the rubber seal is glued inside the a/c base & blocks air flow. Somewhere years ago i found an autolite filter chart that called out the fa-50 as the correct replacement for the kr shelby but dont know where it is anymore.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »
Yes. I have pulled a bunch of what seem to be original 41 s out of KRs. I would say from about mid May on the 41 was used. If you look at the build sheet and its S8MS A air cleaner its a 50, S8MS C its a 41

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »
Tim you must have been to the rocket scientist  place. Do you have any proof krs used the fa=41s as i have seen  & have photos of assembly line kr air cleaners with the square hole wire mesh assembly line only fa-50s. I know somebody claims that is why the engineering # changed but it makes more sense to use taller fa-50 filter since there is no hood clearance issue & taller filter will allow more air flow since the rubber seal is glued inside the a/c base & blocks air flow. Somewhere years ago i found an autolite filter chart that called out the fa-50 as the correct replacement for the kr shelby but dont know where it is anymore.
hmmmm awefully convenient. And we are supposed to believe you? ??? :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »
thats just the way it is bob!!!!!  Its been 20 years or so or more since i found doc on krs using fa-50s & have seen assembly line style in kr a/c bases & have sold them to kr & 69 gt350s & boss 351s & 71 429 guys. They are harder to find autolite than the fa-41s.  Tim can you send me photo of the 68 kr fa-41s you took out of krs.  The only way you can find an assembly line fa-41 is a nos complete air cleaner assembly or out of the plant (lunch pail style).

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »
thats just the way it is bob!!!!!  Its been 20 years or so or more since i found doc on krs using fa-50s & have seen assembly line style in kr a/c bases & have sold them to kr & 69 gt350s & boss 351s & 71 429 guys. They are harder to find autolite than the fa-41s.  Tim can you send me photo of the 68 kr fa-41s you took out of krs.  The only way you can find an assembly line fa-41 is a nos complete air cleaner assembly or out of the plant (lunch pail style).
I should have known you would invoke the Special Ed code  ;D  ;D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 03:18:27 AM »
I should have known you would invoke the Special Ed code  ;D  ;D

That's Edisium #2 or #3? I forget

Back to the thread
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »
  Tim can you send me photo of the 68 kr fa-41s you took out of krs.  The only way you can find an assembly line fa-41 is a nos complete air cleaner assembly or out of the plant (lunch pail style).
I dont know that I have pics. Any that I had were pretty crusty. The last one I remember was Roger Staibs car that I worked on about 4 years ago. He bought the car with 1000 miles on it in 69 and saved almost every part that came with it. Dont remember car # but was a late May build

Offline Dudley

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 08:26:55 AM »
The round hole Motorcraft ones typically sell on ebay for 175.-250.00 . The Autolite round hole are about double that ,diamond wire ones are about double that if you can find one and the square wire mesh one about double that if you can find one.Special Ed most likely has one if it isn't already spoken for.Others may have a different opinion.

What is the timeline (years of manufacture) of the various mesh designs (between the round, diamond, or square) Autolite FA-50 filters.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline specialed

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »
Autolite shepards cross or the loop & star * was first then gt-40 car in motion (racing). The square then diamond wire mesh was replaced by round hole version & that was used into motorcraft era. It was more of a assembly line verses service replacement thing. I will bet nobody has ever found a nos fa-50 in a autolite star box even thou the first version had the star moulded into it. The service fa-50 had c8af # & by 68 they were phasing out the autolite star box & going to the gt-40 logo after winning lemans.

Offline Dudley

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »
Autolite shepards cross or the loop & star * was first then gt-40 car in motion (racing). The square then diamond wire mesh was replaced by round hole version & that was used into motorcraft era. It was more of a assembly line verses service replacement thing. I will bet nobody has ever found a nos fa-50 in a autolite star box even thou the first version had the star moulded into it. The service fa-50 had c8af # & by 68 they were phasing out the autolite star box & going to the gt-40 logo after winning lemans.

Yes, the sticker on my Air Cleaner housing shows a PN of C8AF-9600-C which should be for the air cleaner. Then the FA-50 for the element.  I will check the element tonight when I get home to see what the part number is on the element in addition to the FA-50 number.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:23:08 PM by Dudley »