Author Topic: Power steering hoses  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
Power steering hoses
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
I was wondering if anybody has used the power steering hoses by Blue Dot Specialties.  I'm in need of a new set and was wondering what the consensus out there was.  Has anybody had any success in replacing the rubber and using there original fittings.
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power steering hoses
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
I was wondering if anybody has used the power steering hoses by Blue Dot Specialties.  I'm in need of a new set and was wondering what the consensus out there was.  Has anybody had any success in replacing the rubber and using there original fittings.
Use the blue dot ones with the same confidence you would have with OEM. You will have the same percentage of failures (not meant in a bad way)and ease of fit as with OEM. It is a very faithful reproduction and is a blessing IMHO compared to what we have had to deal with up until now. Take my advice don't waste even one second checking into trying to use the old fittings with new rubber. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
Bob,

Thank you for the advice, the two original shorties that go between the valve and cylinder look to be in good condition.  Do you think it would be wise to replace these or would they be okay to use.

David,
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »
Bob,

Thank you for the advice, the two original shorties that go between the valve and cylinder look to be in good condition.  Do you think it would be wise to replace these or would they be okay to use.

David,
Inspect them for leakage and if no then use them. I have seen numerious ones that had old age cracks in the rubber outer layer remain in service for years without failure. If a driver then reuse them .If show car then replace them because the other new hoses will not match the patina of the used ones and will stand out. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »
Thanks Bob that sounds like a great plan and you just saved me a $100 bucks since I plan on driving the car.
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue