Author Topic: Front Spoiler--Standard or Option on '69 Mach?  (Read 7196 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Front Spoiler--Standard or Option on '69 Mach?
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:54 AM »
For the longest time, I thought that the front spoiler was part of the Mach 1 package.  However, after looking at what I'm almost certain is the original front valence for my '69, I can't see where any holes have ever been for a front spoiler.  Was the spoiler optional on Machs?  And since I've already bought one for my car, will I lose points for adding an option that isn't on my Marti Report?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: Front Spoiler--Standard or Option on '69 Mach?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:23:08 AM »
It's a dealer option for 69's other than Boss.
It could be ordered at the parts counter later in the 69 model year.
Boss 302's arrived at dealerships with the spoiler in the trunk, 429's had them installed at Kar Kraft IIRC.
429 is shallower than 302 because they were such a nose heavy pig.
I have the Mustang and Cougar installation instruction sheet somewhere.
Hopefully I can post it up.
AMK has the install hardware.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
For the longest time, I thought that the front spoiler was part of the Mach 1 package.  However, after looking at what I'm almost certain is the original front valence for my '69, I can't see where any holes have ever been for a front spoiler.  Was the spoiler optional on Machs?  And since I've already bought one for my car, will I lose points for adding an option that isn't on my Marti Report?
As has been already mentioned it is not even a option but a over the counter add on for your car. By the way you structured your question I think you already knew the answer before you asked  ;). Most likely a small deduction if you add it so if you feel strongly about adding for aesthetic reasons it shouldn't be a deal breaker  IMHO . :D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  To be honest, I never would've added it if I had known for sure the car hadn't come with it originally.  I put off adding the rear spoiler and slats simply because it seems like every '69-70 Mustang in my area has had them added, and I wanted to be a little different and more original.  I've already installed the front spoiler, though--guess there's no going back now!

priceless

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  To be honest, I never would've added it if I had known for sure the car hadn't come with it originally.  I put off adding the rear spoiler and slats simply because it seems like every '69-70 Mustang in my area has had them added, and I wanted to be a little different and more original.  I've already installed the front spoiler, though--guess there's no going back now!
Brett, We have been showing our 69 Mach 1 in Concours driven off and on since 1998(alot since 2005) and we are 2 points away from conservator. We have never had a points deduction for our front spoiler on our Mach 1.

Bob Perkins told me a LONG time ago that the front spoiler was extremely popular for the 69-70 mach 1, and that people were going back to the local dealer and buying one to install on their Mach 1's.  He also added that in all reality it was an over the counter add-on and judges shouldn't really be knocking off points for it.....Thought I'd let you know that tid bit of Info....Rich

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 11:00:58 PM »
Brett, We have been showing our 69 Mach 1 in Concours driven off and on since 1998(alot since 2005) and we are 2 points away from conservator. We have never had a points deduction for our front spoiler on our Mach 1.

Bob Perkins told me a LONG time ago that the front spoiler was extremely popular for the 69-70 mach 1, and that people were going back to the local dealer and buying one to install on their Mach 1's.  He also added that in all reality it was an over the counter add-on and judges shouldn't really be knocking off points for it.....Thought I'd let you know that tid bit of Info....Rich
What about the power antennas and 15 inch magnum wheels. How much "customizing" is enough or too much ? The point is the subject is a slippery slop and always stirs up emotions on ether side of the subject. I do agree they look pleasing to the eye even if they weren't factory for the particular application. I added one to my 69 mach I in 1970 when you could first get your hands on one. I usually give a small deduction when someone adds a 70 Shelby spoiler on a 69 Shelby that didn't come with them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
The instruction template is larger than my scanner, but no need to reinvent the wheel.
The jobs already been done here: http://www.boss302.com/69spoiler.htm
I bought mine in '81, so that wouldn't be looked upon favorably if my car was to be judged.
However, if the original owner bought a spoiler at the dealer and installed it, or had the dealer install it, and there was a receipt for it, then I can't see how it could be frowned upon.
It just comes down to a timely purchase when the car is new or newish I would think.
Nothing wrong with dealer options.
That's why catalogs/brochures of dealer accessories were so widely circulated.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 01:42:42 AM »

I bought mine in '81, so that wouldn't be looked upon favorably if my car was to be judged.
However, if the original owner bought a spoiler at the dealer and installed it, or had the dealer install it, and there was a receipt for it, then I can't see how it could be frowned upon.It just comes down to a timely purchase when the car is new or newish I would think.
Nothing wrong with dealer options.
That's why catalogs/brochures of dealer accessories were so widely circulated.
Typically the line in the sand is when the first owner took delivery when the car was brand new.  There is latitude for some but not all so called "dealer installed options" in MCA without documentation however other venues like SAAC and Team Shelby offer the same latitude with the exception that reasonable proof is expected of the so called option being installed before the first owner took delivery when the car was brand new. With emphasis on "reasonable". The burden of reasonable proof is rightfully the entrants responsibility. FYI the same "when first owner took delivery" snapshot in time is also the benchmark that the concours cars aspire to be restored to in MCA,SAAC ,and Team Shelby. Not a month after or a year after.

priceless

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »
Like I was saying, Brett...Our 69 Mach 1 has never been deducted for front spoiler...Have a good day, Brett 8)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 09:16:58 AM »
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!  :)

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
Richie, We need to clarify that the front spoiler would not be concours correct in Thoroughbred class or Unrestored class without documentation on 69 Mach 1. Not likely a 69 Mustang built prior to March 69 could have a dealer installed front spoiler. In Trailered concours, Ford dealer accessories have been generally accepted like the front spoiler. Shelby intakes , Magnum500's, Shelby headers are usually considered  day 2 type accessories and not concours correct. Definitely a little gray area with out documentation.

priceless

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
Yea, I knew it wouldn't be correct for thoroughbred or unrestored, and I'm sure these guys know that too.  It's just I've never had any points deducted for the front spoiler, although I have had a point or two deducted over the years for my rear deck spoiler cause my rear spoiler brackets are 70, but, I reckon its all about what the owner likes and wants. We are only 2 points away from conservator, anyway.

Just like I keep getting points knocked off for the shelby gauges and the radio, i know they will deduct for that before I even get to the Nationals. But, we drive the Mach 1 and I like the mechanical gauges instead of the factory stuff, and of course I'm not gonna listen to AM radio, too boring :D.

Always good to hear your input, Bob....Rich

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
I think the front spoiler makes the 69-70 model much tougher looking and I have them installed on ALL of my cars. Even if there is some deduction I feel it's worth it. It's not like you installed a big foot accelerator pedal or  air shocks and CRAGAR wheels that were popular at the time, but a genuine FORD accessory.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

priceless

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
It's not like you installed a big foot accelerator pedal or  air shocks and CRAGAR wheels that were popular at the time, but a genuine FORD accessory.
LOL.....That's funny as H***

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »
So how to identify an over the counter front spoiler ?  It seems the 429 cars got a spoiler with a KK number cast into the spoiler.  It seems this is the only spoiler with a visible ID number ?  The 70 assembly line installed version had NO ID stamps/castings and NO assembly tabs but instead was a straight line with horizontal oblong screw holes ?  The over the counter version, available in 70, had No visible ID markings but did have a part number in the MPC and on the box; C9ZZ 63001A74-A ?  This was actually a Boss 302 replacement part ?  This part C9ZZ 63001A74-A did come with three mounting tabs and instructions ?  I have also read that ' TEXTURE ' is another means of Identification ?  These are some pictures of the spoiler on my car.  It seems to be a C9ZZ 63001A74-A  over the counter part ? I think the tabs and the texture are the tells. Your thoughts please ?  Thanks,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.