Author Topic: Reattaching '69 Factory Center A/C Vent to Dashpad  (Read 1135 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Reattaching '69 Factory Center A/C Vent to Dashpad
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »
I need some help on reassembling the center A/C bezel to my dashpad.  I could've sworn I had photos of this area before I took it apart, but now that I've got the bezel back from being rechromed, I have no idea how it reattaches to the dashpad.  I kept these two clips pictured with the bezel, but I can't for the life of me remember how they attach, nor can I remember if there should be two or if there were originally more.  Could someone help me out? 

Also, the rechroming process eliminated the painted black border that goes around the outside edge of the bezel.  I can't seem to get good results when trying to paint it.  It seems like paint really doesn't want to stick to chrome.  I've tried taping off and sanding the area to be painted, and no matter how well I have it sanded, it seems like the paint just doesn't want to stick.  I can't seem to get decent, super straight lines, and again, this is even after masking with tape.  I seem to end up unintentionally getting slight overspray somewhere outside my tape lines, and when I go to scrape it off, I accidentally end up scraping off part of the painted border. 

Since this is something that will catch your eye any time you're sitting in the car, I'd really like to get this perfect before reinstalling the bezel.  I've painted and repainted this border outline 3-4 times now, and it's driving me crazy that I can't get it right!

Thanks for any help!

By drummingrocks at 2012-07-23

Too much junk, too little time.