Author Topic: NOS door handles  (Read 2925 times)

Offline macdude67

NOS door handles
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:38:10 PM »
Looking to get a pair of NOS door handles and see that there are 2 stores on an auction site that mainly deal in MOPAR parts. They both claim their pieces are never installed NOS pieces but the low price seems to good to be true. And the price at $99 and $119 for the pair. Over a yr ago I tried to by some NOS door handles from another MOPAR vendor and the parts looked like rechromed OEM pieces. After exchanging them for another pair and alot of grief I managed to get a refund less a few shipping charges. My original pieces on my june 64 coupe look ok but the chrome is dulling and crazing. Is it worth rechroming originals?

Offline jwc66k

Re: NOS door handles
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:01:16 AM »
Those are NOS door handles, but they do not have the C3XB-6422404-B (LH ..405-B) part number cast inside the handle, it's another number, still a legit Ford part but not with the original number.
I had mine re-chromed (they are still at the platers) but I can't find my quote sheet, I think $60 each. My handles had micro-cracks but no pitting. If they are pitted the costs go up. I got the buttons rechromed for $10 each, the inside brackets, levers, screws and pins gold zinc plated for about $10 total (different plater, different process). The studs, screws and nuts were clear zinc plated months ago. The springs were bead blasted and phosphated, the O-rings came from a local hardware store.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »
I've found the quality of the service replacement pieces to be very low.  Compare an original to one, look at the inner and outer edges and it becomes obvious.  I prefer to re-plate good originals when needed.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline MWM

Chrome Contact Info
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »
Jim
Those prices for re-chroming sound fair. Do you have a contact?
Thanks!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:26:24 AM »
Those are NOS door handles, but they do not have the C3XB-6422404-B (LH ..405-B) part number cast inside the handle, it's another number, still a legit Ford part but not with the original number.
I had mine re-chromed (they are still at the platers) but I can't find my quote sheet, I think $60 each. My handles had micro-cracks but no pitting. If they are pitted the costs go up. I got the buttons rechromed for $10 each, the inside brackets, levers, screws and pins gold zinc plated for about $10 total (different plater, different process). The studs, screws and nuts were clear zinc plated months ago. The springs were bead blasted and phosphated, the O-rings came from a local hardware store.
Jim
I have not had too much good luck in rechroming because the chromers I have used rounds off the edges/body lines on the handles in the polishing process even after warnings . I will continue to try another chromer who will listen.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:28:33 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
I have not had too much good luck in rechroming because the chromers I have used rounds off the edges/body lines on the handles in the polishing process even after warnings . I will continue to try another chromer who will listen.

Have you tried Qual-Krom in PA?  Bob, the owner, knows to keep as much original detail as possible.  The edges on the later NOS handles are pretty bad when compared to original.  Guess this goes back to quality control of service parts compared to factory line parts.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »
Have you tried Qual-Krom in PA?  Bob, the owner, knows to keep as much original detail as possible.  The edges on the later NOS handles are pretty bad when compared to original.  Guess this goes back to quality control of service parts compared to factory line parts.
Charles, thanks for the suggestion. I am willing to try anyone at this point :D .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby