Author Topic: Casting/ID markings  (Read 1987 times)

Offline MHz

Casting/ID markings
« on: November 06, 2012, 12:24:59 AM »
Should all parts in the engine compartment and under the car have some sort of ID stamp/casting number? I assumed they would.
Thanks, Ross 6S1158
6S1158, Sapphire blue GT350H, original dealer Metke Ford, Bellevue, Wa. Owned since 1981.

Offline jwc66k

Re: Casting/ID markings
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:54 AM »
Most items do, some don't. Some have casting numbers, others have a date stamp. Ask some specifics.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline MHz

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
Okay, Jim: Torsion bars, upper shock mounts, outboard front bumper supports, upper and lower control arms, front coil springs.

Thanks, Ross
6S1158, Sapphire blue GT350H, original dealer Metke Ford, Bellevue, Wa. Owned since 1981.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:36:25 AM »
Okay, Jim: Torsion bars, upper shock mounts, outboard front bumper supports, upper and lower control arms, front coil springs.
Thanks, Ross
Part numbers (try strut rods vs torsion bars) - no; no; no; no; no and no.
Item ID was by marking - paint dab; none; none; paint dab, vendor logo & date code sometimes; paint dab and date code; paint strips. The paint coding Ford used was started back in the very early car assembly era as most of the workers could not read or write. The code was also a quick and easy way for inspectors to verify the right part was used. Many items like shocks had a permanent part number stamped as well as a paint dab. Also many of the parts were common across car lines, like the upper shock mount, so there was little chance in mix-ups. There were differences in each plant in the way they would ID parts as well. Sound confusing? It worked well for mass production, but not for restoration.
Service and NOS items are a whole different question as stick-on labels, wired-on tags and rubber stamped service part numbers are/were used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:40:58 AM »

Thanks, Ross
No ,thoseparticular items don't all have some sort of ID stamp/casting number other then the coil springs which have paint markings.Some of the items mentioned may have date codes depending on the item.  As a service part these items are identified by tags as stickers even the coil springs but not on the assemblyline.I hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby