Author Topic: engine bay paint  (Read 5552 times)

Offline myblue67

engine bay paint
« on: February 09, 2013, 03:36:56 AM »
I used regular black spray paint in my engine bay. Ran out of one can halfway through and the second can came out more grey. So now I have half black half grey. I want to do it the right way so what is the correct paint? Do I sand it to metal? Do I use primer?

Thanks
SG
1967 midnight blue coupe, inline 6 200, Sport Sprint, 3 speed standard, manual brake/steering, San Jose, June 7.

priceless

Re: engine bay paint
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
This is my opinion. If you plan on using spray can paints, because you are going to be driving it whether its an occasional/daily driver or even "Concours Driven",Yes, I said Concours.  I have used Eastwoods Underhood semi-gloss black(part#10024Z,11 oz.can), with great results.  This paint is chip resistant, very durable and holds up over the years. And it matches from one can to another. I know this because I have used it on my restored Concours "Driven" '69 Mach1.

I stress Driven because some here will let you know in a hurry, you shouldn't use it for trailered classes,unrestored or t-bred and I agree. And some will still tell you that you need to have semi gloss black components professionally sprayed through a spray gun.

Thats the reason I have stressed driven, whether its occasional/daily or yes, "Concours Driven".....Hope this helps.

Go to Eastwood.com for paints and other restoration materials. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:45:36 AM by priceless »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »
When the words "what is correct" come out, that is usually when it is recommended to go with a catalyzed paint sprayed from a gun.  If you want information on that, let us know.  Although, there are many discussions in the past if you use the search tool.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline myblue67

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »
This is my opinion. If you plan on using spray can paints, because you are going to be driving it whether its an occasional/daily driver or even "Concours Driven",Yes, I said Concours.  I have used Eastwoods Underhood semi-gloss black(part#10024Z,11 oz.can), with great results.  This paint is chip resistant, very durable and holds up over the years. And it matches from one can to another. I know this because I have used it on my restored Concours "Driven" '69 Mach1.

I stress Driven because some here will let you know in a hurry, you shouldn't use it for trailered classes,unrestored or t-bred and I agree. And some will still tell you that you need to have semi gloss black components professionally sprayed through a spray gun.

Thats the reason I have stressed driven, whether its occasional/daily or yes, "Concours Driven".....Hope this helps.

Yeah thanks. Its my daily driver so that spray paint will work. Is it meant to be really glossy or matte?

Thanks
1967 midnight blue coupe, inline 6 200, Sport Sprint, 3 speed standard, manual brake/steering, San Jose, June 7.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »
I have used Eastwoods Underhood semi-gloss black(part#10024Z,11 oz.can), with great results. 
In the few cars that I've seen the Eastwood semi-gloss black used (from owners that will admit it) it is too glossy. Finding a more correct paint in small quantities has always been a problem. I still use and recomend most other Eastwood products however.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

priceless

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »
myblue67, I've been having my Mach1 judged in the concours driven class off and on for 7 years in the MCA, and I have accumulated 18 points(all Gold Awards) and I'm only 2 points away from grille medallion, and soon, go into the conservator......I have never had a gold card or a certified Judge in the MCA while judging our Mach1 say that my semi gloss black was too glossy, as a matter of fact I've even had judges comment on what a nice and correct engine compartment it is.
And believe me, over the past 7 years there's been well over 15-20 judges total,Gold and certified, judge our Mach1.

Anyway, if you are a Daily driver, check out the paints and other Eastwood products, it's a great place to start with all your restoration needs.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:50:28 PM by priceless »

Offline myblue67

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
myblue67, I've been having my Mach1 judged in the concours driven class off and on for 7 years in the MCA, and I have accumulated 18 points(all Gold Awards) and I'm only 2 points away from grille medallion, and soon, go into the conservator......I have never had a gold card or a certified Judge in the MCA while judging our Mach1 say that my semi gloss black was too glossy, as a matter of fact I've even had judges comment on what a nice and correct engine compartment it is.
And believe me, over the past 7 years there's been well over 15-20 judges total,Gold and certified, judge our Mach1.
Anyway, if you are a Daily driver, check out the paints and other Eastwood products, it's a great place to start with all your restoration needs.

Thanks. Sounds like you have a really nice car! Mine isnt judging ready but I want everything to look nice to me at least. Should I sand everything to metal? Do I use a primer first?

Thanks
SG

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »
It comes down to personal preference and what someone is comfortable with.  I don't think it matters how the car is used.  Quality materials can be used on a daily driver, although that term is kinda insignificant these days.  The percentage of 1st generation Mustangs that are being used daily has got to be extremely low.

Think that most of the folks that use spray bombs can achieve nice results, but if I had to choose a finish, would always go with catalyzed paint sprayed with a gun.  Personally, I have a consistently repeatable formula that serves me well.  The paint flows out so nice and just looks right.

Just out of curiosity sakes, for those that have used spray cans to do engine bays, have you ever tried spraying one with a gun?  I understand that equipment to do this can be costly, but seems that most of us that have restored cars already have an air compressor.  A good paint gun can be bought for $150 or so, doesn't have to be super fancy.  For engine bays I use an old Sata hvlp with a 1.4 tip.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

priceless

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »
I don't restore Mustangs,Only the one that we own. I didn't find it necessary or cost effective to buy a spray gun or a compressor(I do own a compressor now). I done some research some 10+ years ago to what would be the best and closest engine bay semi gloss black I could use. Back then, my initial intention was occasional driver,which is what exactly it was at the time.  And after all my research, I came up with Eastwood semi gloss black, and just hoped that it would be exceptional, at least for me.

The Eastwood paint turned out better than I would have anticipated, so thats the way it stayed, even while I graduated into the concours "driven" class.

Anyway, myblue67, I would sand it. you don't have to go down to the metal.  If you can see visible runs in the original paint,LEAVE THEM, thats the way it came from the factory.....Good Luck with your Mustang

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:33:31 PM by priceless »

Offline myblue67

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »
I don't restore Mustangs,Only the one that we own. I didn't find it necessary or cost effective to buy a spray gun or a compressor(I do own a compressor now). I done some research some 10+ years ago to what would be the best and closest engine bay semi gloss black I could use. Back then, my initial intention was occasional driver,which is what exactly it was at the time.  And after all my research, I came up with Eastwood semi gloss black, and just hoped that it would be exceptional, at least for me.

The Eastwood paint turned out better than I would have anticipated, so thats the way it stayed, even while I graduated into the concours "driven" class.

Anyway, myblue67, I would sand it. you don't have to go down to the metal.  If you can see visible runs in the original paint,LEAVE THEM, thats the way it came from the factory.....Good Luck with your Mustang

Ok. So sand it a bit, probably by hand? Not with a power sander? And no primer?

Thanks

priceless

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »
Yes, sand by hand. I would use fine grit sandpaper. Probably 600 or finer. Maybe 400 at the lower part of the firewalls down near the crossmember and such. Lightly sand. In my honest opinion, I wouldn't use primer. As long as you have scuffed the engine bay with sandpaper, using the Eastwood paint will cover nicely......Good Luck.