Author Topic: '69 Non-fold down seat installation question...  (Read 9419 times)

Offline Dirk Pitt

'69 Non-fold down seat installation question...
« on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »
I have a non-fold down seat in my '69 fastback.  I am trying to determine if there were ever any fasteners used to secure the top of the seat back to the brackets that attach to the wheel wells (screwed onto the side of the same bracket used for the latches for fold-down seats).  I did not dissassemble my car but it doesn't appear that any screws/bolts were ever used (neither the bracket or the seat back shows any signs of a fixturing)?  I have looked at one other car that is supposedly original ('70) and it also does not have any fasteners.  This seems odd but plausible considering the bottom is attached via hinges and the top is secured to the package tray.  Does this sound correct?  If it was fastened to the brackets, does anyone know of the type of screw/bolt used and have any pictures?

Thanks,
1969 Mustang SCJ (W-code), Dearborn Built 4/21/1969
1969 Mustang CJ, Dearborn Built 7/16/69

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: '69 Non-fold down seat installation question...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 07:16:39 PM »
My cars are all non fold down and have red dye coated machine thread screw with a Philips head on it and attaches to an acorn style nut on the trunk side. I am sure it's possible some got missed but when FORD red dyed fasteners it normally meant a safety type item  from what I am told. Maybe JEFF will have a photo of one.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »
First welcome  :)

Second if you please ;) include all the information about your car in the first posts (might incorporate it in your signature) like when and where it was built, or we'll ask that every time before answering. We really do want to provide you with the best information and we continue to find that there are allot of little details between assembly plants and different time periods in a production year.

So......... when and where was your car built in 69????

Do have pictures but would like to post (if I have them) from cars built around your car. Have seen the L brackets different finishes and some different hardware

Again welcome.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 01:13:02 AM »
The Ford Car Parts book shows the same brackets are used for 1967 thru 1970, C7ZZ-6366740-A and C7ZZ-6366741-A, with the same hardware as used as well. These are service items. The 69 and 70 Assembly manuals do not seem to contain the fixed seat information. The latest information is from the 1968 assembly manual. Seat to bracket hardware: 382539-S2 1/40-20X1 1/8 pan head Phillips with an external tooth lock washer; 382547-S2 5/16 flat washer, 0.328ID, 0.750OD, 0.031T; 382540-S2 1/40-20 crown nut, locking. Bracket to body: 4 ea 382538-S2 1/4-14X3/4 truss head. Somewhere in this time frame the government required certain critical hardware items to be color coded, like seat hardware, hence the red nut.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »
Looked at my pictures and like 70 it appears that the L shaped brackets (likely IMHO sub contractor suppliers) were a multiple of colors. Semi-gloss black (don't think they were charcoal) , file cabinet green or brown.

Focusing on 69 I to found the acorn nuts in safety (dye) red and the mounting (bracket to wheel house bracket) in mostly phosphate. Believe they are 3/8" head hex self tapping machine screws.

Here are a couple of very clear pictures of a 69 NJ car (pretty nice original car) to illustrate what I'm seeing. Can't see a difference between NJ and Dearborn caars in this area

Hope this helps

Black bracket

Green bracket

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:08:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
Thanks again Jeff.  Your photos prompted another question.  The sound deadener/insulation on the upper quarter (adjacent to the package tray, above the brackets in your photos), I have not seen that in other cars/photos.................
My April build car had remnants of insulation that appeared to have been adhered to the metal panels of the upper inner quarter but no real evidence of a solid piece of insulation.  Nothing appeared to extend below the sail panels.  Any more info on that would be appreciated.

Lets see if this will handle this or we can start a new thread ;)

Yes I've consistently found evidence of adhesive and the remains of sound deadener/padding on the back side of the sail panels on 69 sportroofs. Examples

Believe this is just the remains of what was attached to the back side of the sail panel and an effort to get the sail panel to stay in place and not sag and move over time

The panel shown in the picture is one that was placed between the inner sheet metal panel and the middle (between the inner and the quarter panel0 as shown in the following pictures. Not sure if its a Mach I (extra sound deadening package) thing or all sportroofs. As usual I continue to find 69 Boss 302's with the "extra sound deadener" also but that is another subject

Hope this helps

Another 69 example (other than the 69 in the thread) this one a spring Dearborn car

The remains of this inner padding (I recall removing and throwing allot of these away over the years :(

Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
I purchased the same pieces from N.P.D and I was OK with the insulation, I know it's not correct but not really an appearance item so I used it. The package shelf on the other hand was just cardboard with a bend in it. I returned that as it was junk. I got lucky and found a used shelf that was in very nice shape, not perfect but nice and a genuine correct part. I cleaned it real good and sprayed it the correct low gloss charcoal black metallic. I never seen the fiberglass reproductions however they are using the wrong material in the first place so I would not put much faith in the rest of it either. I can't understand why this panel can't be reproduced using the correct material with the correct camera case texture.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
...................I can't understand why this panel can't be reproduced using the correct material with the correct camera case texture.

Might be a cost verses low volume of possible sales/demand. Would how close the texture of DeadNutsOn's convertible divider is with the package tray material?
Jeff Speegle