Author Topic: Power Steering Pump dipsticks  (Read 1216 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Power Steering Pump dipsticks
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:05:35 AM »
I have some 1967/68 Thompson (blue) power steeing pumps and they have slightly different dipsticks. I was wondering if they are both correct or if one is a repo.

The first one is a 1967 big block pump (manuf 66).
It has on one side of the blade: "use automatic trans fluid", "full" and "add" marks and the FoMoCo stamp.
It has "check with oil hot"on the handle and what looks like a retaining wire/clip to hold the cap to the blade.

The second is a 1968 air con pump (manuf 68).
It has "use automatic trans fluid" and the FoMoCo stamp on one side of the blade and "check with oil hot"and the fluid level mark (with hatching) on the other side.
There are no markings on the handle.

I intend to use the pumps for a 1967 SJ, non AC, C-Code car (manuf July 67) and was wondering which dipstick would be the correct one.

Thanks,
Brad.

Offline specialed

Re: Power Steering Pump dipsticks
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
Their are 5 dipsticks from 67 -70 from what I seen & first 67 version had writing on handle but don't know if that version was on both 67 pumps.

Offline RocketScientist

Re: Power Steering Pump dipsticks
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 03:50:03 AM »
I am surprised to see that there are that many variations of the humble dipstick (though I shouldn't be). I was stumped because the world of repo parts shows only one 'concours correct' version for Mustangs. That's normally OK but it leaves you wondering when something a little bit different turns up.

I wonder if GM makes things this dififcult for 'future restorers'?