Author Topic: Eastwood engine paint dark blue not matching  (Read 2047 times)

Offline 67BB390

Eastwood engine paint dark blue not matching
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »
Bought some Eastwood dark blue 51623ZP & it is a lighter shade than the original color- I was just touching uo spots on my 390 heads where the paint burns off on the exhaust ports on the heads- color looks like the  51682ZP Old Ford blue which is a lighter shade. Any help would be great.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Eastwood engine paint dark blue not matching
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
after the heads have been thru several heat cycles i would not expect any paint to match. even from the original batch. you may have to paint more than you planned to get good results.
5F09C331248

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:12:41 PM »
How old is the existing paint? All paints will degrade with heat cycling and yellow with time. This especially so with enamel paints and less so with modern high temperature paints and polyurethanes. So it could be just a case of painting and waiting for it to come good. The old enamels will also degrade and change color with age (just see how bad varnishes age) and even if you don't use your car, the chances are that and original Ford Blue color won't look like it did when it first came from the factory. Then there's the problem with the differences in tinters that everyone uses these days that plays havoc with color tones....

It could just be that the guys at Eastwood had a bad day and mis-tinted that batch slightly. if you're unsure or unhappy get them to verify the color, it won't be a big job for them to check.
Brad.

Offline 67BB390

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:59:57 AM »
Checking the batch numbers- sent me the dark blue but looks like the lighter blue so something has to be wrong & as usual I was all set to use it & was waiting for it to do a project.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »
Might be that Eastwoods colors (never used them my self) are just "off"

IMHO always found big blocks slightly darker then small block blues
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67BB390

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
They are sending me a new can.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
Jeff, in your experience, was the color difference there when the engines were first built or could it be due to big blocks generating more heat and therefore degrading the paint more, to produce the darker blue.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »
Jeff, in your experience, was the color difference there when the engines were first built or could it be due to big blocks generating more heat and therefore degrading the paint more, to produce the darker blue.
More likely IMO because they were built at a different engine plant where the paint may be a slightly different formula.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 12:54:39 AM »
Might be that Eastwoods colors (never used them my self) are just "off"
I don't use Eastwood's "designated to a manufacture paints" (like engine colors) or their 'under hood black (too glossy - make the "Bow Tie" guys happy though), but I do use their reflective aluminum (for inside tail light buckets), carb touch up and high temp exhaust paints, mostly on non-concourse cars.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67BB390

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »
New batch same as before :( Will send them a painted piece to show them the right color.