Author Topic: Battery heat shield  (Read 6078 times)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Battery heat shield
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:21 PM »
Don't believe that is true -  when the MPC shows a year followed by a slash that means the all years that follow until the printed date on the page ;)
I agree and again we are talking MPC but there is a no slash after 67  B (390 w/ac) and it relists it under 68. Why did they do that for B chassis but not F?
(for the record I am questioning using MPC as definative proof of anything. Of course they had battery shields in 68 F chassis)  ;)
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »
The Ford Car Parts book was written to support the service department at a Ford dealership and nothing else. If the item you are looking for is not there, Ford did not service it. The applications listed are serviced by the referenced part number in a system that is at least 50 years old (read before computers). It has little reflection what engineering designed, what the assembly line used for that model car, for that year's production, which plant or even down to the month a rolling change was called for. There are "to" and "from" dates in the book that help on some items. If what you are looking for is not there, its absence does not mean it did not exist. On that basis, use the book intelligently.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
I agree and again we are talking MPC but there is a no slash after 67  B (390 w/ac) and it relists it under 68. Why did they do that for B chassis but not F?

The reason why the Fairlane is listed on two separate lines is that there are two different part numbers (different shields) listed for those two applications My picture cut that detail off - sorry was focusing on the B (fairlane) verses F (mustang) differecnes

(for the record I am questioning using MPC as definative proof of anything. Of course they had battery shields in 68 F chassis)  ;)

Your on record ;)  We're just responding to Marus' request - so he started it  LOL
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:22 AM »

Thanks guys....I was just looking for some new information or smoking gun that shows us when the battery heat shields were actually required....but aware that this was never really documented up to now.  Probably will always be a bit of debate.  I think the best thing here is we have a general rule that says when we think the heat shields were used and that grey heat shields were seen on some of the earlier cars from 1967 to possibly early 1969.

I will post some photos of original heat shields in the upcoming weeks here showing the differences. 

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 05:01:47 PM »
I will post some photos of original heat shields in the upcoming weeks here showing the differences.

Have 20-30 of them (not all versions currently) if you need anything to fill in the gaps. Been picking them up and selling/using  them for a fair number of years ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 01:27:06 PM »
The long c7ob un-cut version was not used on mustangs & cougar as the plastic extends past radiator & serves no purpose but on a torino-fairlane the battery mounts at an angle & the long version serves more of a purpose covering the exposed side of battery & not interfearing with radiator unlike mustang where as battery mounts flat along apron & next to rad.   In 1970 the doob improved version had a curled outward lip on end to route cool air coming from opened slot on 1970 rad support so cool air went between shield & side of battery kind of like a scoop does.  The new doob shields was designed first for new 1970 style torino & replaced the c7zb type on 1970 & up mustang-cougar.  Is there any mention of it in 1971 assembly manuals.