Author Topic: Radio Suppressors at the Voltage Regualtor  (Read 13173 times)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Radio Suppressors at the Voltage Regualtor
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »
I just thought I would explore the radio suppressors a bit.  Take a look at my Blog post for more examples and images, and give me any observations and feedback as to what you all have observed.  Thanks.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2013/07/just-detailsmustang-radio-suppressors.html

Online krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Radio Suppressors at the Voltage Regualtor
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
I will have to polish some of mine up to see what I find. There is at least one other version of the C6OA version, without the 648 number.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »
I have 17 RFI suppressors in my pile of stuff. All have the "648" on the base, either in the center or the bottom, some in an oval. Some have no other marking other than the part number, C6OA-18832-A and 648. I have one marked C3SA-18832-A and 632 only. There are several that include the Autolite name and logo. I also have two with the FOMOCO logo. Unfortunately I can't tell what year or plant that any of them came from.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Online krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
Sorry for the out of focus picture but I found 4 different C6OA suppressors.

I also have a pair of Motorcraft D2AA suppressors.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Brant

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I actually found still another Autolite stamped version that is not shown in my pictures or the four pictures above.  Apparently, there were quite a few variations of those C6OA numbered suppressors.  I'm not sure if they are all assembly line versions or not.

Any other feedback is welcome.  Thanks again, guys.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:07:40 PM by Brant »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 08:12:48 PM »
great topic. it's about time someone discussed these which are often missing on cars i have judged over the years.
5F09C331248

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 01:27:44 AM »
I just cleaned up the suppressor from my July 65 Metuchen built car.  It has the C35A-18832-A part number and 648 in the circle.  Did the changeover to the internal suppressor in the 66 alternator affect the part number of the suppressor at the voltage regulator?
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
Did the radio suppressor go on the voltage regulator for generator cars? My June 64 has a suppressor on the backside of the generator (different style for that application than what's shown above) but not one on the voltage regulator. Didn't see one called out in the 64 electrical manual either.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
Did the radio suppressor go on the voltage regulator for generator cars? My June 64 has a suppressor on the backside of the generator (different style for that application than what's shown above) but not one on the voltage regulator. Didn't see one called out in the 64 electrical manual either.

Yes, but it's a different style radio suppressor, attaches to one of the voltage regulator terminals.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Chris

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
Charles,

Do you happen to have a picture of this style of suppressor for voltage regulators on generator-equipped cars? I'm missing mine, would like to be correct if possible.

Thanks.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Brant

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »
The radio suppressors have been completed.  The wiring pigtails are being installed soon.  I'll have pictures and more details soon.

We will have the 65 version with the C3SA-18832-A number, the 66-early 67 version with the C6OA-18832-A and FoMoCo script, and the late 67-up version with the C6OA-18832-A and Autolite logo.

They look great.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
The radio suppressors have been completed.  The wiring pigtails are being installed soon.  I'll have pictures and more details soon.

We will have the 65 version with the C3SA-18832-A number, the 66-early 67 version with the C6OA-18832-A and FoMoCo script, and the late 67-up version with the C6OA-18832-A and Autolite logo.

They look great.

Brant, so you (or VCM) are reproducing these?  If so, that's great!  Let us know when they're available.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Brant

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
Brant, so you (or VCM) are reproducing these?  If so, that's great!  Let us know when they're available.

Yes.  This is a project that Virginia Classic Mustang is doing exclusively.  This enabled us to really control the quality.

We have been working with an engineer and a manufacturer that have both done a great job.  I'm extremely pleased with the product.  The stamping of the part numbers and logo look great, the finish is correct, the wiring pigtail is authentic, and the part works as it is supposed to.

This was a rather big project, and we wanted it to really be right.  Hopefully, folks respond by buying them and we may have a few other previously unavailable parts reproduced.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 08:56:23 PM »
Yes.  This is a project that Virginia Classic Mustang is doing exclusively.  This enabled us to really control the quality....

Brant if you don't mind how many units do you have to have made in order for this all to work out for you?

Been involved with a few reproductions and some might be amazed by the commitment it takes to make even a small fairly straight forward piece like this

If its prying too much - just ignore - will understand :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:42:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brant

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
Brant if you don't mind how many units do you have to have made in order for this all to work out for you?

Been involved with a few reproductions and some might be amazed by the commitment it takes to make even a small fairly straight forward piece like this

If its prying too much - just ignore - will understand :)

Not a problem.  The run had to be over 1000 of each one...and there are three different versions.  And I still don't know how it will all work out.  It just depends if folks want them and buy them.

Now a question for you and others.  What did this particular version of the suppressor fit?

So far, I think I'm correct in saying the following:

65-71 Mustangs (use on 72-73, of course too, but they were marked Motorcraft)

67-71 Cougar

65-71 Fairlane

68-70 Torino

65-70 Falcon

65-71 Ranchero

Am I correct?  Any comments on Galaxies?