Author Topic: AMK Feedback -  (Read 4856 times)

Offline jwc66k

AMK Feedback -
« on: September 15, 2013, 04:36:22 PM »
I ordered a package of 64-66 Door Rod Bushings, Ford C3AB-62219A38-A, AMK B-13441 (6ea - per door) or B-13442 (12ea - per car) from AMK. These are part of Ford door rod clip subassemblies C5OB-62219A36-A (eng no) or C5AZ-6221952-A (service no). I received red bushings. Literally, all the 64-66 bushings I have (several dozens) are translucent white (but very dirty), so I was, needless to say, not pleased. Ford Car Parts (Body Section 210, page 29) notes that the bushing is white, less washer (washer?).
On my next order of AMK items, I asked why the bushings were red and not white. Much to my surprise I got a call back a few days later. The answer was not what I expected. AMK stated that the bushing made from red material was the method that Ford used to identify another supplier. This information came from notes AMK has accumulated. They also stated that there is another supplier they will be using in the future that uses blue material. I asked if they had any dates on their documentations, but that was not available. The dates might indicate whether the red bushings were or were not available for production in 1964 thru 1966, or they are service replacements, sometimes referred to as NOS. I assume this might apply to other years’ bushings.
I’m making the above known, and asking if anyone has any information and/or comments.
AMK also indicated a willingness to accept feedback as part of improving their product line. Keep that in mind.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: AMK Feedback -
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
Only recall seeing colored bushings on service replacement and aftermarket pieces
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »
From a Concourse standpoint, is a color other than white acceptable? In what circumstances would a color other than white not be acceptable?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
     Gotta ask.  Under what circumstance would a concourse judge ever see one ?  In my collection of door hardware parts;  all OE pieces are whitish and the after market ones are yellow and blue.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
Does this fall into the category of - "Items not used are not subject to failure"?
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
.......................In what circumstances would a color other than white not be acceptable?

They would not be acceptable once seen and noticed IMHO  At that time a conversation with the judging team would take place to see if and what vaue would then be placed on the observation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:55:06 AM »
They would not be acceptable once seen and noticed IMHO  At that time a conversation with the judging team would take place to see if and what vaue would then be placed on the observation
Well, I guess the white ones go into the solvent tank then the dish washer (I use Cascade) -  ;)
Jim

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
most of the 68-69 ones I see are red. Ironically the last batch I got from AMK were white so apparently they have those as well. Never seen blue except service like Jeff said
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »
I have parted 20 plus 67-68 coupes and found most quarter window rollers to be blue with a few reds mixed in. I have never seen a white one except on the door glass and that one is not removable.
Marty

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
I have parted 20 plus 67-68 coupes and found most quarter window rollers to be blue with a few reds mixed in. I have never seen a white one except on the door glass and that one is not removable.
Marty

Marty:  I believe what is being discussed here are the rod clips.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
Marty:  I believe what is being discussed here are the rod clips.
Sorry I did not read better.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »
There are different sizes of bushings, 9/64 inch size used for 64 thru 66 and 5/32 inch size used for 67 thru 70 used on Mustangs (and other Fords). The size is a reference to the metal clip's hole diameter per AMK's catalog. Ford Car Parts differentiates two by color, white (less washer?) for 64 thru 66, and black for 67 thru 73. Out of the eight bushings listed, the only other color noted is for 71 Mustang (with washer).
Based on Jeff's comment, the red bushings I have will be used on non concourse cars.
After soaking a real dirty small white bushing in Krud Kutter (available at Home Depot) overnight, it looks a whole lot better, read cleaner. I intend to soak more in Krud Kutter, and maybe skip the dish washer.
Note that AMK indicated a willingness to accept feedback. Over the years I've asked AMK about a few items in their product line that resulted in changes or additions. I assume I was not alone. A suggestion made with a positive attitude will work. Keep that in mind.
Jim

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:55:14 PM »
After a bit of back and forth, AMK is going to include 14 screws in their 69 Boss 302 chin spoiler kit instead of 12.
The instruction sheet included with service replacement spoilers calls for 14, but AMK reported that a Boss 302 used 12 originally.
I can't speak to that because the last time the chin spoiler that actually shipped with the car was seen on one was when birds had teeth 65 million years ago.
If a buyer wants a real Ford spoiler, are they realistically going to find something other than a service replacement?
Since service replacements have 14 screw holes, it follows that the kits should come with 14 screws.
Still begs the question of whether 12 screws were ever used though.
I doubt it because the spacing would be pretty wide.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:42:35 PM »
14 Boss 302 1969 / 16 Boss 429 1969

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 11:15:16 PM »
Thankyou for the confirmation.
I let AMK know about it, and 14 screws will now be included in their 69 Boss 302 chin spoiler hardware kit.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20