Author Topic: Fuel pump ID please  (Read 6787 times)

Offline silverfox

Fuel pump ID please
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
Hi all,

Can you help me please.

I need a fuel pump for a Jan 66 HiPo engine and I came across the unit on Ebay.

To all intents and purposes to my untrained eye it looked OK as it had the 0-1719 marker but something did not quite look right.
However having took a risk on buying it and shipping to England I note that there is a code, i.e. 8K5B (date code?) which does not accord with me.

I see from Mustang Tek that this numbering may not be correct ?

I'm now totally confused, is this a replacement unit from a later date?
Chris

Current Mustangs:
1965 Fastback 289 K Code - Hi-Po - Caspian Blue

1970 Mach 1 Sportsroof 351C Auto - White - Project car and in Resto (started Sept 2012)

Past Mustangs:
1966 Fastback GT350 clone, Hi-Po 289, 4 Spd Man, White/Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fuel pump ID please
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
Looks like a 65 style V8 pump  pump  built in Sept 5th 1968 second shift

The other side of the base would be the application number - example 4201S

Style isn't going to be correct for a Jan 66 pump

Should look like this one - with double arm springs (one above - one below) and of course numbers ;)

Top and bottom part of the bodies are pretty generic. There are a few people who offer reproductions (restamped ones) just don't get caught up in purchasing one of those for real pump $$'s

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:08:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
Looks like a 65 style V8 pump  pump  built in Sept 5th 1968

Minor correction, Jeff - I think the date is October 5, 1965. That would actually put it in the right time frame for an early 66, but I agree this pump is incorrect for a hipo. It's a virtual duplicate of the one on my 65 C code.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 09:04:27 PM »
Minor correction, Jeff - I think the date is October 5, 1965. That would actually put it in the right time frame for an early 66, but I agree this pump is incorrect for a hipo. It's a virtual duplicate of the one on my 65 C code.

Thanks for catching that one  :-[- got the year and day of month backwards 8K5 should be Oct 8th 65. Givven the style must have been an early  service part

Thanks again - the inportant thing is the right /correct info for the poster
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
Not only is the pump not right for a hipo but the pump is not right for ANY smallblock . The pump arm indicates it is for a bigblock!!! The good news is this is the type of pump that came on a 67 GT500 so that is some consolation. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline silverfox

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
Jeff, mjd66, Bob, many thanks for helping me out with this one, you all never cease to amaze me with your knowledge and quite often for us guys in England, this site is very helpful as we do have many resources to turn to.

Bob, yes that is a bit of consolation as should get my money back, although looks like I'm still in the hunt for a correct 66 HiPo pump,.

Can anyone help out again but pointing out exactly what I require for a late Jan 1966 pump. ?

Chris
Current Mustangs:

1970 Mach 1 Sportsroof 351C Auto - White - Project car and in Resto (started Sept 2012)

Past Mustangs:

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »

Can anyone help out again but pointing out exactly what I require for a late Jan 1966 pump?

You might try getting in touch with Fred Ballard (fredsclassics@hotmail.com). Fred specializes in rebuilding the old Carter fuel pumps and may be able to give you some leads in finding the one you need.  Good luck!
Mel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »
Jeff, mjd66, Bob, many thanks for helping me out with this one, you all never cease to amaze me with your knowledge and quite often for us guys in England, this site is very helpful as we do have many resources to turn to.

Bob, yes that is a bit of consolation as should get my money back, although looks like I'm still in the hunt for a correct 66 HiPo pump,.

Can anyone help out again but pointing out exactly what I require for a late Jan 1966 pump. ?

Chris
The picture in Jeffs reply#1 is with the correct looking markings. 65's had the filter can on the bottom which is not correct on a 66 .It will look like Jeff's picture. Fred Ballard is a good idea someone mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:12:07 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline silverfox

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »

Quote from: mjd 65 link=topic=7339.msg41637#msg41637

You might try getting in touch with Fred Ballard (fredsclassics@hotmail.com). Fred specializes in rebuilding the old Carter fuel pumps and may be able to give you some leads in finding the one you need.  Good luck!

The picture in Jeffs reply#1 is with the correct looking markings. 65's had the filter can on the bottom which is not correct on a 66 .It will look like Jeff's picture. Fred Ballard is a good idea someone mentioned.

Gentleman, thank you

Chris
Current Mustangs:

Past Mustangs:

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
Chris,

I would also recommend purchasing from Fred Ballard.  He's a straight up guy and well known in the Hipo community.  He's restored literally hundreds of Carter pumps.  I purchased a restored hipo pump and distributor from him and they were exactly as described.

There is a 4201S service replacement pump currently on eBay you can check out for more pictures, link below.  Note the red 2nd spring as Jeff mentioned, and you can also see the special dimpled arm to hold the 2nd spring in place. However, it has a 1969 date and the simple "Carter" vs original "Carburetor" logo shown in Jeff's picture, so is a service replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-67-Hi-Po-289-HP-Shelby-Cobra-GT-350-Fuel-Pump-HiPo-Mustang-4201-S-NOS-Bolts-/181244759457?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a33078da1&vxp=mtr

I would also recommend joining the Hipo forum if you haven't already.  Lots of hipo specific info on there, and Fred is a moderator.  Link below.

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/

Good luck,
Rich
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline silverfox

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »
Chris,

I would also recommend purchasing from Fred Ballard.  He's a straight up guy and well known in the Hipo community.  He's restored literally hundreds of Carter pumps.  I purchased a restored hipo pump and distributor from him and they were exactly as described.

There is a 4201S service replacement pump currently on eBay you can check out for more pictures, link below.  Note the red 2nd spring as Jeff mentioned, and you can also see the special dimpled arm to hold the 2nd spring in place. However, it has a 1969 date and the simple "Carter" vs original "Carburetor" logo shown in Jeff's picture, so is a service replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-67-Hi-Po-289-HP-Shelby-Cobra-GT-350-Fuel-Pump-HiPo-Mustang-4201-S-NOS-Bolts-/181244759457?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a33078da1&vxp=mtr

I would also recommend joining the Hipo forum if you haven't already.  Lots of hipo specific info on there, and Fred is a moderator.  Link below.

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/

Good luck,
Rich

Rich, thanks for that. I am on the HiPo site, but infrequent visitor and hadn't realized that Fred did these.
Regards, Chris
Current Mustangs:

Past Mustangs:

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 08:16:47 PM »
Rich, thanks for that. I am on the HiPo site, but infrequent visitor and hadn't realized that Fred did these.
Regards, Chris
Fred may be on his third or fourth "last" batch so check with him. If he gets enough commitment he most likely will do some more.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:24:08 PM »
Fred may be on his third or fourth "last" batch so check with him. If he gets enough commitment he most likely will do some more.
Jim

My pump was part of Fred's 14th run, which ended in August.  I would guess he is collecting for the next run now. 
Mel