Author Topic: Midland Brake boosters  (Read 4000 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Midland Brake boosters
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »
Hi, I'm looking for some information on Midland brake boosters, relating to the 67/68 style with the band around the middle. I have recently come across two, both supposedly off Mustangs but they're not quite right and they don't look like those already displayed in this forum. I have no idea if these units were made by other companies (Repo's) back in the day.

The first one off a 67 basically looks like a Midland unit but it has a single hose fitting for the check valve that comes out vertically. It also lacks the four indents around where the master cylinder mounts. The Unit is devoid of any markings or stampings.   The second unit is off a 68 and comes with a tag stamped: 6-4360-MB, 3187 A P. It has a black check valve with two ports and the body looks like it was cad plated (or similar). Also near the check valve is a stamping mentioning two US patents.

These boosters look like Midlands but I suspect they are not authentic and so would like any opinion.
Brad.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Midland Brake boosters
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:51:49 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for some information on Midland brake boosters, relating to the 67/68 style with the band around the middle. I have recently come across two, both supposedly off Mustangs but they're not quite right and they don't look like those already displayed in this forum. I have no idea if these units were made by other companies (Repo's) back in the day.

The first one off a 67 basically looks like a Midland unit but it has a single hose fitting for the check valve that comes out vertically. It also lacks the four indents around where the master cylinder mounts. The Unit is devoid of any markings or stampings.   The second unit is off a 68 and comes with a tag stamped: 6-4360-MB, 3187 A P. It has a black check valve with two ports and the body looks like it was cad plated (or similar). Also near the check valve is a stamping mentioning two US patents.

These boosters look like Midlands but I suspect they are not authentic and so would like any opinion.
Brad.
The best thing is to post some pictures. There are some styles of midland that will work on a Mustang but the check valve is in a different position on the body. If all that is different on yours is the check valve then that can easily be changed with a more correct one. It is hard to answer your question thoroughly with out more info. A picture is worth a thousand words applies here. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:14 AM »
Here's some pictures of the boosters. The 68 looks fairly normal but the 67 looks suspect.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
Don't worry about the double nipple vacuum fitting. That is what is available in reproduction, we sell them everyday.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
Are parts easy to get or are they easy to rebuild? I live in Australia where they aren't common and so I am interested to know if parts are easy or hard to come-by? I would be interested in mocking one up as a late (July) 1967 unit that came from SJ.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
Are parts easy to get or are they easy to rebuild? I live in Australia where they aren't common and so I am interested to know if parts are easy or hard to come-by? I would be interested in mocking one up as a late (July) 1967 unit that came from SJ.
The outside good or bad looking can be deceiving. the internal rubber is what typically goes bad in these . I would not go to the trouble (a pain)to install one without first having it rebuilt. I assume some where you could get a rebuild kit but the learning curve and possibility of failure is not worth the effort IMO but then again there are many options over here in the US. I don't know anything about rebuild options down under. The two nipple valve design is typically what came on 67/68. The one valve design typically came on the later Bendix boosters.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 02:59:21 AM »
I tend to agree with you Bob. I have installed a 1969/70 booster on the car as the original Midland units are rarer than Hens teeth in Aust. and so finding the parts to rebuild one will almost be impossible. Sourcing a rebuilt booster from the US seems to be the best option.
Thanks, Brad.