Author Topic: Front Spring Finish  (Read 11407 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Front Spring Finish
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 07:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the response. Did the factory ever put spacers on springs for the a/c cars like my photo shows? I thought they were aftermarket and why I questioned where to purchase replacements in an earlier post. Maybe time to move to different section but how do you check tolerances on front coil springs?
Regards,
Brian

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7515.0;attach=10664;image
Brian,no spacers from the factory that is what the different spec coils for a specific application and options are for. usually ride height . The shop manual and or body aseemblyline manual will should have a spec. Of course some people like them lowered in the front so it can be a matter of personal taste unless a issue of bottoming out on bumps or wide tires rubbing in corners which maybe why a PO added them to your car. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:28 PM »
thanks for the response Bob,
that's what I thought about the spacers.
Anyone have suggestions on how to check springs to see if they are within factory tolerance? measurements, compression test , etc? they seem fine but I am concerned about why the PO used the spacers. I called Eaton and they don't make a springs for a 428 with A/C.
Appreciate any feedback
Brian
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline specialed

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »
Brian I would use your OE springs over as PO may have installed spacers for tire clearance with all the weight options on your front end.. 69 cougars never had rolled lip fenders like the mustangs for 15x7'' wheels & f-60-15 tires & many cougars use the wheel lip mouldings making tire clearance worse. Back in early 70s it was kool to put big wheels & tires on your ride. I had my 68 charger jacked up all the way around g-60-15s on front & M/T L=60-15s on back on a car that was designed for e-70-14 tires & THOUGHT I was KOOL until 1 month later had to take car back to shop & rebuild the suspension!!   In my early post on spring finish this is an issue that needs improved on & someone needs to come upwith a correct method or system to duplicate both front & rear spring finish to sell to restorers of all makes since this is a common mistake done on many restorations I see & a lot of trouble & labor to have to take car back apart to correct the finish.

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
I restored the front springs on my '67 by soaking them for about a month in big Rubbermaid tub filled with old, used, oily Evaporust.   After that, I washed them with soap and water, wiped them down with acetone, and then applied Testors gold and yellow model paints to replicate the stripes (I have since found that Americana brand acrylic paints sold at Michael's craft stores work much better for replicating paint markings - and they are lot less expensive as well).

Finally, I warmed up the springs in our kitchen oven and applied a liberal coating of RPM (Rust Prevention Magic) that is sold by NPD and other Mustang parts suppliers...

So far the only issue encountered was during the re-installation of the springs.  RPM leaves a slightly waxy finish on the parts, and the spring compressor kept slipping - but it's been about a year since I treated them, and there's no rust on the springs.  It will be interesting to see how well the RPM holds up over the long run...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:42:10 PM by Paperback Writer »
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline Bill Jenkins

• Love Mustangs
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 10:21:11 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I am soaking my front springs now.  My Mach 1 is an early(10-02-68) "M"-code non-air Metuchen car.  My front springs have 3 colors, and I rely on someone else's eyes, I'm colorblind, but I think they are white-yellow-beige.  Is that correct do you think.  The suspension is original.
Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:23:38 PM by Bill Jenkins »
65' Coupe
69' Mach 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2016, 11:06:20 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I am soaking my front springs now.  My Mach 1 is an early(10-02-68) "M"-code non-air Metuchen car.  My front springs have 3 colors, and I rely on someone else's eyes, I'm colorblind, but I think they are white-yellow-beige.  Is that correct do you think.  The suspension is original.

Hi Bill

The yellow and beige would have been the spring identifiers and the white (as mentioned in other threads and this one I think) was the over/under indicator mark. That was was separate and applied differently that the other two

What transmission and if it had P/S?

Looking at buildsheets I find the Yellow & Tan one of two front springs installed on M and H code Mach I's that year
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bill Jenkins

• Love Mustangs
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2016, 11:46:45 PM »
OK I read about the white but didn't quite understand.

It has a close ratio 4-speed, power steering and brakes, and trac-lok 3.25.

Bill
65' Coupe
69' Mach 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 11:54:06 PM »
OK I read about the white but didn't quite understand.

It has a close ratio 4-speed, power steering and brakes, and trac-lok 3.25.

For the white stripes. From our understanding from someone involved. Each spring was tested to see if ti fell within a required range for the spring being made. IF the spring fell short - just outside the limits it was marked with a white stripe. The difference was not too great to scapp the spring but just not within the range. Once they got to the car assembly line the worker would grab two "matching springs"  (2 with out stripes or 2 with stripes ) and install them on a car.

We never got confirmation if the white stripe meant over or under the spring range would guess it was under.

You cars specs seem to match some of the buildsheets I have with those front springs Thanks for sharing the pictures
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bill Jenkins

• Love Mustangs
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 12:13:02 AM »
Thank you Jeff this all makes much more sense now.

I am curious about something else that relates to the firewall cut out, where should I post that?

Thank you
Bill
65' Coupe
69' Mach 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 12:19:16 AM »
Thank you Jeff this all makes much more sense now.

I am curious about something else that relates to the firewall cut out, where should I post that?

Thank you
Bill

Guessing that it will be a year specific detail so place it in that section 65-66, 67-68. 69-70, 71-3..........
Jeff Speegle

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2022, 10:34:42 PM »
I Know this is an old thread, but I really like the pictures from paperback writer on 12-12-13. I like how the spring finish turned out! Wonder how the springs look today?
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2022, 09:13:20 AM »
well that would depend on how they have been maintained.
5F09C331248