Author Topic: What is the best rust converter or rust eater?  (Read 7015 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: What is the best rust converter or rust eater?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »
Found the rust coatings to be a pain to paint over so I gave up on them after using them on a couple  of cars - good thing they were not show cars ;)

Think the last place I used them was the inside of the Cougars cowl.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline silverfox

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
Found the rust coatings to be a pain to paint over so I gave up on them after using them on a couple  of cars - good thing they were not show cars ;)

Think the last place I used them was the inside of the Cougars cowl.

In England we have a product called Kurust - i have used it and painted over with both Etch primer and 2K primer, seems to have stood the test of time.............
http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/kurust.jsp
Chris
Current Mustangs:
1965 Fastback 289 K Code - Hi-Po - Caspian Blue

1970 Mach 1 Sportsroof 351C Auto - White - Project car and in Resto (started Sept 2012)

Past Mustangs:
1966 Fastback GT350 clone, Hi-Po 289, 4 Spd Man, White/Blue

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »
Spot blast and epoxy is what I'd do.

Trying to weld up pin holes even with a copper backer will be a recipe for frustration. The steel you are trying to weld to at the edges will be a few thousands thick and will run from the puddle.

Epoxy both sides so air can't get to it then use that tough filler on the inside, regular on the out, or bite the bullet and butt weld in small patches.
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
Face it, there is no 'one' best, however there is 'experience' that will allow you to choose the best method for the circumstance. I've used almost every method, process or product (some were a poor choice) mentioned here and I still have to do it over again sometimes. As to the 'rust converter or rust eater' question, consider the downside of the products too. Read the reviews, and remember sometimes it's not worth the effort if the metal is really bad.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.