Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Interior & Trunk

Conv. Interior Quarter Upholstery

(1/3) > >>

bryancobb:
Has anyone put the upholstery on their quarter trim panels and gotten real good, smooth results.

I need technique guidance.
I'm usually very good at this type thing but my 1st attempt looks awful.  They fit perfect but the way I used the spray adhesive, caused the padded areas to compress unevenly and it looks lumpy.
Do y'all just use the adhesive around the perimeter and not let it stick to the padding at all?  When I attempt the second one I plan to go light on the spray to attach the padding and not put any spray at all on the top surface of the padding for the vinyl to stick to.  That is...unless y'all tell me a different technique.

Then...At the top edge, where the vinyl folds over the panel and makes a rasdiused "L" that goes around the conv. top frame when it's down...this edge shows all the time.  I can't think of a way to make it look good.  I have never seen a picture of how it looked on an original.  Both convertibles I have owned had been recovered and had the vinyl that folded over, cut in 1/2" wide strips around the curve.  This looked pretty bad.

Any help much appreciated.

CharlesTurner:
Only the edges should be glued.  I get the seam set right and then pull the rest of the material around.  A good neoprene glue helps the vinyl stick down tight.

Bill:
I did mine and, yes, it is a PITA but what I did was follow the cuttings of the old one figuring that they knew at the factory how to "notch" the back side of the covering so it'll fit well. I didn't "stretch" the vinyl tight - it just made more creases. The darned thing doesn't fit perfect - there always seems to be a place (usually at the arm rest) where it doesn't fit all the way down. I think that if you want a perfect fit, you may try to glue it to the armrest but they didn't do that at the factory so why bother.

As far as the glue, I used 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive.

One thing I noticed they did at the factory is use duct tape to hold the glued ends to the fiberglass frame. Probably to hold it so it wouldn't peel away. I duplicated that just to give the vinyl a better chance to stick.

BTW: I bought the padding but didn't even use it. My old stuff is just as good as the new ones.

My local Mustang guy is going to press in the snaps for me. I think they need a tool to press in or maybe someone has made a screw-in but I haven't found it.

Good luck,

Bill Krieger

Oz390:
Agree with Charles.  Work the horizontal seam first, then do the rest.  I used a ton of small clamps and pre-set it before gluing.  Stretched it tight and let it sit overnight, then readjusted.  There is a small notch at the rear edge of the panel that, to me, appeared to align the seam.

On the upper lip, I had the same question.  No answer.  I rolled the edges, clamped it in place, glued and made one slit at the inner curve.  Not sure if its "factory" but it came out looking pretty good IMHO.

(note, I glassed over the ash tray openings so none shown, as I put a retractable belt behind the panel and cut a slot for it where the ash tray used to be.  Australian requirement for registration...)

C5ZZKGT:
oz390: I am curious about what you had to do for registration? some sort of additional seat belt? any pictures of that? Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version