Author Topic: J code tag differences  (Read 4382 times)

Offline ruppstang

J code tag differences
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:54:52 PM »
What is the difference between 1968 302-4V  J  AUTO 284 engine and a 1968 302 - 4V  J   AUTO 284-J01 engine other than the latter went in a 68 GT350?

Offline ruppstang

Re: J code tag differences
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:26:58 AM »
Did I stump the experts? I thought it may have been the accessory's like the fuel pump with a double spring on the earlier cars or the AC compressor. I do not know of any internal engine differences. 

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:35:50 AM »
Did I stump the experts?
No, just haven't had time to check. I have a bunch of original tags i have to check. Sometimes the smallest details can change ID tag. Did you know you could get a 3 spd manual behind a J code (Mustang)? Different tag
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:31:08 AM »
I am not sure that I understand the question.
Are you asking about the physical tag differences? Like the format or font type?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
Did I stump the experts? I thought it may have been the accessory's like the fuel pump with a double spring on the earlier cars or the AC compressor. I do not know of any internal engine differences.
I just now saw this thread. The written word can be taken different ways, some phrase 's ARE innocent but come across demanding or insulting so as to solicite a response. Others are not so innocent  and are demanding or insulting so as to solicit a response. Since I know you as I do I am certain it was meant in a friendly teasing way. More polite way and one that would not be mis interpreted would be to ask the question again in order to bump the thread  ;) . I for one do not respond to threads that appear insulting so as to solicite a response. Just my opinion. FYI I am not sure in this case but suspect it may have something to do with the change out of valve covers at the engine plant on a Shelby unit since the engine was painted with sheet metal covers and then changed out.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »
I just now saw this thread. The written word can be taken different ways, some phrase 's ARE innocent but come across demanding or insulting so as to solicite a response. Others are not so innocent  and are demanding or insulting so as to solicit a response. Since I know you as I do I am certain it was meant in a friendly teasing way. More polite way and one that would not be mis interpreted would be to ask the question again in order to bump the thread  ;) . I for one do not respond to threads that appear insulting so as to solicite a response. Just my opinion. FYI I am not sure in this case but suspect it may have something to do with the change out of valve covers at the engine plant on a Shelby unit since the engine was painted with sheet metal covers and then changed out.
Bob you are correct I no way meant to be insulting! I had asked this before and got not response then. I think I need to ask it in a different way. What I am wanting to know is what is the difference in the Shelby J code automatic engine that the tag reads 284-J01 and a Mustang J code automatic engine that tag reads 284?
What difference did the J01 add to the engine. I had been told that the rocker covers and air cleaner were added at Shelby so I did not think that was the difference. I could not believe that some of you did not know this. Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »
Bob you are correct I no way meant to be insulting! I had asked this before and got not response then. I think I need to ask it in a different way. What I am wanting to know is what is the difference in the Shelby J code automatic engine that the tag reads 284-J01 and a Mustang J code automatic engine that tag reads 284?
What difference did the J01 add to the engine. I had been told that the rocker covers and air cleaner were added at Shelby so I did not think that was the difference. I could not believe that some of you did not know this. Marty
The valve covers were added at the engine plant and not SA in late 65 ,all of 66 and 67. I have no reason to believe (not seen any evidence) that things changed in 68,69/70 at AO Smith.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »

I to believe it would be the valve covers and depending on the time period the intake and carb since these were all on the engine before it left the engine plant and because of that the code would be different on Shelby J code and Mustang J code buildhseets.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:20:35 AM »
fan clutch is on all shelbys, which is different to standard j codes, even a/c cars had fixed fans
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 08:32:23 AM »
Thanks for you insights they are most helpful. Tim I forgot about the clutch fan and I knew that.
Marty

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »
I have pretty good evidence that valve covers were put on small block cars @ AO Smith in 68. BB I agree with Bob that they were on from Ford

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 06:40:36 PM »
What is the difference between 1968 302-4V  J  AUTO 284 engine and a 1968 302 - 4V  J   AUTO 284-J01 engine other than the latter went in a 68 GT350?
OK the "experts" have returned  ;). Below is original engine tag from 8T03J******00308 which debuncts the 284J versus J01 theory. i have a new theory...(not proven till we get more data). Marty, isnt your 350 a Hertz car? I can think of one big difference between Hertz and other (some) 350 automatics  ;D

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 11:51:25 PM »
[  I can think of one big difference between Hertz and other (some) 350 automatics  ;D

[/quote]
 Do tell the student is eager to learn.
Our GT 350 was not a Hertz car.  The original engine tag was lost and I ordered a Marti replacement that reads 284-J01. I did find the build sheet which also uses this number.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Hmmm, I thought yours was a Hertz so I was thinking AC. I think my build sheet says J01 as well, I'll check