Author Topic: prices for upholstery work  (Read 2215 times)

Offline sparky65

prices for upholstery work
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »
I was going to do this my self but I saw an add for a place near me that was offering discounts on upholstery work if it was done before spring.  I figured I should at least ask for a quote.  If I supply all the material he wants $200 to apply new vinyl top, headliner and recover front seats.  This seemed incredibly cheap so I contacted another place further away and they want around $900 to do the same work.  The first place has been in business for 30 years and mostly does convertible and boat tops and covers.  The second place is much larger and more advertised.  The first place is very tempting but how can I tell if he does good work.  Ive seen some pictures but its hard to tell from the pictures and I have no way of knowing for sure its his work other then they are parked in front of his sign.  Any questions i should be asking clues to look for?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: prices for upholstery work
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »
Yes $200 is REALLY cheap!!!

You should be able to visit the shop and watch them work and see what they are doing. That should either give you some comfort or make you run away.  With the economy maybe they just shot you a really good price because they need the business and maybe they pay their guys nothing.

Are they doing a tuck job on the headliner? or are they pulling the windows?

Sure there will be a story to report when everything is done. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »
Steve, see if they can provide some references.    $200 is way cheap.
Greg Z

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »
I think $200 is probably a starting point for a simple R&R.  If they find rust or if the glass needs to be removed, they will charge more.

You probably would be best removing everything yourself.  Clean the glue off the roof and then lay down some good catalyzed epoxy primer.  Take the car up there after you do this and have them stick the vinyl top.  I bet they would do it for $100 if you did it this way.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
The seats were also included in the price, that I can see.

To add to Charles,  strip the seats to the bare frame and prepare them as you would before recovering.  If they see a stripped and cleaned roof and seat frames to work with, $200 might work here.  But again, I'd ask for references.
Greg Z

Offline sparky65

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:15:21 PM »
I think $200 is probably a starting point for a simple R&R.  If they find rust or if the glass needs to be removed, they will charge more.

You probably would be best removing everything yourself.  Clean the glue off the roof and then lay down some good catalyzed epoxy primer.  Take the car up there after you do this and have them stick the vinyl top.  I bet they would do it for $100 if you did it this way.

I sent the same email to both companies.  So they both had the same information.  The glass and the rest of the interior is out.  The car was painted in September so I finally just got wheels on it.  All the panels are still off.  I didn't strip the seats.  I'll talk to him first before I do.  Not sure if he would want to see how the old covers and foam look first.  I assume it would be easier to work on if he knows how it was put together originally. I'd also suspect any blasting or painting would be extra.  Really why do the seat bottoms have to be fully cleaned and painted?  The perfectionist in me say I should do it but I am also itching to get this car done.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe