Author Topic: Removing Rubber Boots on Tie Rod Ends  (Read 1572 times)

Offline JIMeast

Removing Rubber Boots on Tie Rod Ends
« on: June 20, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »
I've removed the tie rods from my car, they might be original, and I wanted to get the rubber seals or boots off, but they are stuck on pretty well and with the metal sleeve part of the seal that is pressed on, I can't cut them off either.  Any suggestions on the easiest way to remove the rubber seals?

Also, how do I tell if they are correct or original?  It's a late '67 from SJ

Offline 67gta289

Re: Removing Rubber Boots on Tie Rod Ends
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:00:41 PM »
We can tell you if you post pictures.  Too much room for error relying on words.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:51:17 AM »
I've removed the tie rods from my car, they might be original, and I wanted to get the rubber seals or boots off, but they are stuck on pretty well and with the metal sleeve part of the seal that is pressed on, I can't cut them off either.  Any suggestions on the easiest way to remove the rubber seals?

Are you trying to save them? Are they reusable and not all cracked?

Makes a difference on how your going to take them off ;)

ID your going to reuse them are you replating them? Since the original finis very likely gone by now :(

Also, how do I tell if they are correct or original?  It's a late '67 from SJ

Marking on the boot is likely the easiest way
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JIMeast

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:03:42 AM »
I think the tie rods and clamping sleeves may be original or original service parts, so I wanted to remove the rubbber boots without damaging the tie rods in any way.  I also got a response on the vmf from someone that had gone through this and  suggested I used a large flat sided screw driver to tap the boot off from the back side of the boots metal sleeve, this worked well.  I've cleaned up the tie rods a little and plan on putting them away until I put the power steering back together. 

I'm still undecided on how far I want to go with the car as I work on parts of it, but it's rare enough that I would like to maintain as much originality in very good driven condition, as well as have any part I add be original or a very good reproduction.  It's a '67 S-Code GTA convertible w/Air and P/S, 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
You'll mark them up if you use a screwdriver to remove.  Much easier to just take something like a 1x4 length of wood and tap the bottom edges forward.

If the ends move freely and are 'floppy' at all, you won't want to use them, unless the car is not driven.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin