Author Topic: I feel very lucky  (Read 3607 times)

Offline 34isgreat

I feel very lucky
« on: June 22, 2014, 10:42:17 PM »
  Well I drove my Mustang to my mothers house this weekend. She lives about 180 miles from me, Car ran great, it as a joy to drive. On my way home on a 4 lane 70 MPH road I was hit from behind. I have no idea how fast the person was going but I turned three loops in the highway going 70 MPH, before my car came to rest pointing east in a west bound lane. But by the grace of god I did not hit the guardrail and the oncoming traffic was able to miss me. To top that off the other driver did not stop and no one got his tag number. My car is hurt but can be fixed, I am grateful no one was hurt.

Offline Richard P.

Re: I feel very lucky
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:56 AM »
I'm sorry that your car got hurt but you didn't and that's a blessing. I hope that sucker gets caught.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:36:12 AM »
Very glad that nobody was injured.
That is fixable, but it did take a pretty hard hit. Looks like the bottom of the quarter panel is just about touching the door.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 06:38:31 AM »
Such a good outcome, given the horrible circumstances of cross traffic and guardrails. Yes, car is fixable. I hope your broken heart mends too (I know my heart would be broken)
Be sure to have a reputable CLASSIC autobody shop take a good look at her. As Scott mentioned, it looks like there is some serious collapse on that right side. Just my 2 cents worth, but original sheet metal donors for parts would be my desire as apposed to aftermarket or NOS. You are in N. Carolina? ...and you have a coupe. There should be good used parts for the serious damage local enough to make her as good as before. Don't let the insurance company off by allowing them to total it out. They might try that because of issues in "restoring" the damage.
Keep us posted on the repair progress. It will be interesting to hear how it all turns out. I hope who did this gets found out too. I cannot imagine there is no description of vehicle reported so hopefully their vehicle is damaged enough and has evidence that ties them to the scene.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »
Sorry to hear this, sounds like the outcome could have been much worse.  Can't believe the person that hit you didn't stop.  Where in NC are you?  I know a shop in the Burlington area that could probably help with the repair.  Send me a PM for details.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
Man, I'm so sorry to see this.  It makes me want to rethink driving some of my cars, and I don't drive them much as it is.  Glad you're ok though. 
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 11:39:40 AM »
     Must have been quite a surprise.  I 've done 360's in a 65 at speed and remember how flat the car remained while rotating.  Still not an experience I'd like to have again.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »
Oh yeah...one thing often overlooked on insurance estimates...get another set of tires...Those will be certain to have some severe FLAT SPOTS.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 34isgreat

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
I have called Grundy today, waiting for them to contact me. I will keep you posted on how they "take care of me".

Offline 34isgreat

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »
Accident on Sunday, Check in the mail from Grundy on Wednesday! Grundy estimate was $500 higher than my body shop estimate. I am very pleased with the service I have gotten from Grundy.

priceless

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:15:11 PM »
That's Awesome!!!  We,my (late ) father in law, and I have Heacock and about 7 years ago he was side swiped, and Heacock Insurance was great. About the same turnaround as you.

Glad your ok, and can't wait to see the 'stang fixed up again.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »
Glad the insurance worked out so well.  Keep us updated on the progress of fixing the car back up.   :)
Too much junk, too little time.