Author Topic: Underside fender part number stencils  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Fullbasement

Underside fender part number stencils
« on: August 20, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
Did original 66 fenders have the yellow stenciled part numbers on the underside of the top of fenders? And if it is original, does anyone have a good source for the correct size and style of stencil to recreate this stencil on fenders that have the underside painted?
1966 Metuchen built C-code coupe
    Vintage burgandy/black top & interior
1966 Metuchen built C-code convertible
    Candyapple Red/ black top/ red interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Underside fender part number stencils
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »
no stencil needed on assembly line parts. that marking was for serviced inventory only. i have deducted points on concours cars for this very issue.
5F09C331248

Offline Fullbasement

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:02:06 PM »
The same would apply to the front and rear valances also I assume?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »
Yes, those as well.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »
To add -the same thing can be applied to most the parts used on the cars. They would not typically have part number stickers /stencils on control arms, exhaust, etc. The sticker /stencils  look cool and may indicate a new fresh part(which is impression some are trying to impart) but is not the typical way the car would look from the factory.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Fullbasement

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »
A local (Chattanooga, TN) Mustang shop and restorer had some sentcils made up and added the markings to his fenders. That's where I first saw the practice. Then noticed the stenciled number on a couple of my cars fenders I felt to be original due to their obvious age and date stampings, so you can understand how I came to think this was a factory procedure. The fact that they were most likely Ford produced fenders helped add to the misinformation. 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
In general, Ford part numbers with a "Z" in the 4th position - C6AZ-xxxx-y, are service part numbers and were not seen, ordered or used on the assembly line.
A local (Chattanooga, TN) Mustang shop and restorer had some sentcils made up and added the markings to his fenders.
They were "trying to help" after seeing a service part with that type of identification.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
The bane of many reproduction parts too, when they use a service replacement piece as their 'template'.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
To add -the same thing can be applied to most the parts used on the cars. They would not typically have part number stickers /stencils on control arms, exhaust, etc. The sticker /stencils  look cool and may indicate a new fresh part(which is impression some are trying to impart) but is not the typical way the car would look from the factory.

Bob - I agree but have seen some really old and original looking sticker labels on the back side of original untouched fastback fiberglass panels.  Also there is the gas tank sheet metal stamping that occurs in various locations (sometimes not at all) on original tanks.  I would consider those to be correct.  And I do recall seeing/reading about some driveshafts that might have had some original stencils.  Just trying to paint (pun intended) the complete picture on stickers and stencils.

So to tabulate where stickers and stencils could be correct:

Back of interior fiberglass panels (label)
Back of door panels (stamp)
Gas tank (sheet metal supplier stencil)
Drive shaft ???

Where they would not:

Sheet metal
Suspension components
Exhaust components

Thanks, John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »
John: You are correct that some factory line parts might have had stencils and decals/stickers, but they would not have service part number identification, which is a huge difference in looking at authenticity.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
Great point. Thanks for clarifying.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »
So to tabulate where stickers and stencils could be correct:

Back of interior fiberglass panels (label)
Back of door panels (stamp)
Gas tank (sheet metal supplier stencil)
Drive shaft ???

As we understand it the stenciled drive shaft was a 64-66 thing only and only on every third one made from a length of tubing - stamped by the tubing provider for their purposes not Ford's

Allot of the stickers were not Ford, Rotunda or Autolite stickers (that I can think of)  but identification the suppliers level or int he case of 65-67 fiberglass/plastic  rear side panels in some cases by Shelby since they removed and replaced these panels and tried to return them to the original cars from where they were removed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 08:41:50 AM »
Another question about stickers/labels... 

What about the front turn signal wires for a '65-'66.  The Ford Service parts have the part number, on tape, wrapped around the wires--what would have been there from the factory?
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »
Another question about stickers/labels... 

What about the front turn signal wires for a '65-'66.  The Ford Service parts have the part number, on tape, wrapped around the wires--what would have been there from the factory?

Assembly line wire tags were usually laminated and carry an engineering number and logo.  Most wire looms have this, but I am not recalling specifically on the parking light assemblies.  Any factory line tags on park light wiring would not look like the white paper ones we see one some service replacements.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
Assembly line wire tags were usually laminated and carry an engineering number and logo.  Most wire looms have this, but I am not recalling specifically on the parking light assemblies.  Any factory line tags on park light wiring would not look like the white paper ones we see one some service replacements.

You will find white or off white labels along with the identification labels with the assemblers number also on the major looms
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)