Author Topic: 69 NJ Paint Inspector Stamps  (Read 8577 times)

Offline jimhib

Re: 69 NJ Paint Inspector Stamps
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
Jeff, your reference to the tune up decal and valve cover is correct. The hinges have never been replaced that I know of, the only time the car was ever worked on and it wasn't me was when relatively new and still under warranty. I had burned valve in 70 and a failed timing gear around 71, otherwise no one has been in the car but me. Interesting note though because I could not find a date stamp on that hinge but there is one on the driver side although very difficult to decipher as the stamping is poor ,legible numbers are 6D3 and those coincide with most other items on the car. Build date was Nov. 18 68 and I purchased it on Nov. 26th.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
. Interesting note though because I could not find a date stamp on that hinge but there is one on the driver side although very difficult to decipher as the stamping is poor ,legible numbers are 6D3 and those coincide with most other items on the car. Build date was Nov. 18 68 and I purchased it on Nov. 26th.

Thanks for the additional info. The lack of or a different style of dating would also support its replacement.  If it was under warranty its not unusual for the dealer to replace and just bill Ford - never telling the owner. Seen a number of examples were the car was repaired and touched up without the owners knowledge as a possible result of a mistake or playing around while the car was in for service or before delivery 

Now to run to check other Nov built NJ cars to see if I can find another with the decal up there. Reason I had to ask is that you find owners putting them there after seeing a few 69 Boss 9's with them there. Not unusual in the past for people not to pay attention to where or when their car (0r the car they are taking info from)  was built.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 10:40:38 PM »
Jim there is another spot to check for a date on the hinge.  Upper bracket, bolted to the hood, at the lower end.  My 9 11 D2 date at that location. 
Jeff about the tight comment; Several other pieces have some early dates; try right lower rocker C9ZB--65 Z4 dated 9 13 D2.   Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
I'm not sure if this is typical, but I uncovered this Paint OK decal on the bottom of the trunk lid of my June 5th, Metuchen '69 Mach.  I can read the Paint OK portion, but have no idea what the inspector's name might've been.   :(

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:29:49 AM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
Another Paint Stamp location.  Thanks for the photo and exact spot where it can be found.  Not on my trunk lid.  Maybe under the Jack decal ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »
Another Paint Stamp location.  Thanks for the photo and exact spot where it can be found.  Not on my trunk lid.  Maybe under the Jack decal ?  Brian

It might be under the decal.  Also, I'm glad to note that both of our cars have the trunk decals somewhat crooked--makes me think the same guy probably did both cars.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
I'm not sure if this is typical, but I uncovered this Paint OK decal on the bottom of the trunk lid of my June 5th, Metuchen '69 Mach.  I can read the Paint OK portion, but have no idea what the inspector's name might've been.   :(

Now there is an odd one- the paint was strong enough to etch its way through the top coat of body color to below it.

Looks like I've got one paint inspector that liked to stamp the unibody in that location (along the drivers side trunk lid edge on fastbacks) in 69.
 Might be the same guy since (as we've found) most get into a rhythm and most end up in about the same place most of the time though these two examples are 180 degrees off from one another. He continued the pattern (of placing his stamp along the edges of the trunk lids into and through 1970 at NJ. Guessing he was a taller gentleman given the locations

9T177xxx

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:23:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jimhib

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »
I checked the other location on my hinge and it has no number Brian. I'm removing the hood to refresh the motor in a couple weeks, I'll check the entire hinge at that point.

priceless

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »
I have researched and found locations under the hood and on the inside of the fender to hood near the fender bolts the stamp "Paint OK-Adam" at the NJ plant in early to mid '69 as my Mach 1 was. Different shifts meant different inspectors with different (preference) stamping locations.   

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »
Now there is an odd one- the paint was strong enough to etch its way through the top coat of body color to below it.

Looks like I've got one paint inspector that liked to stamp the unibody in that location (along the drivers side trunk lid edge on fastbacks) in 69.
 Might be the same guy since (as we've found) most get into a rhythm and most end up in about the same place most of the time though these two examples are 180 degrees off from one another. He continued the pattern (of placing his stamp along the edges of the trunk lids into and through 1970 at NJ. Guessing he was a taller gentleman given the locations

9T177xxx

Jeff, can you make out that guy's name on the stamp?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
Jeff, can you make out that guy's name on the stamp?

Given the location, the length of name and a few letters it looks like it would have been VENTRIGLIA. Longest name I've seen used on the NJ stamps. At San Jose when the name got this long they just used the guys first name :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
Ventriglia is also seen during 1968

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
Given the location, the length of name and a few letters it looks like it would have been VENTRIGLIA. Longest name I've seen used on the NJ stamps. At San Jose when the name got this long they just used the guys first name :)

Great, thank you!