Author Topic: 69 / 70 Shelby headlight buckets, hood, and valance colors ?  (Read 3263 times)

Offline cjmustangman

I'm about to paint the car ( 69 shelby conv mar 69 build ) and am wondering about how to paint the headlight buckets and  top of stoneshield. I'm thinking the headlight bucket is attached to the fender then painted body color first ? then are they blacked out with semi gloss black, or dark argent color such as 70 mach 1 dark argent, it seems there are both versions out there, which is correct ?

I also understand the hood was painted body color first then blacked out with semi gloss black,  is that correct? Would you be able to see some body color such as in the ram air cowl ?

Is the inside of the  lower valance blacked out ? if so is there body color over spray on them from painting the front end ?
Thanks again
Arild

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 / 70 Shelby headlight buckets, hood, and valance colors ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
hey Arild, drop me an email, I have some pictures that might help you

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
I'm about to paint the car ( 69 shelby conv mar 69 build ) and am wondering about how to paint the headlight buckets and  top of stoneshield. I'm thinking the headlight bucket is attached to the fender then painted body color first ? then are they blacked out with semi gloss black, or dark argent color such as 70 mach 1 dark argent, it seems there are both versions out there, which is correct ?

I also understand the hood was painted body color first then blacked out with semi gloss black,  is that correct? Would you be able to see some body color such as in the ram air cowl ?

Is the inside of the  lower valance blacked out ? if so is there body color over spray on them from painting the front end ?
Thanks again
Arild
I'm thinking the headlight bucket is attached to the fender then painted body color first ? yes . Black is incorrect for the buckets ,grill etc.. We have been using the dark argent (extremely close)for a long time for the grill,buckets etc. Until the SAAC registrar gets the exact paint code from his archives(soon) that is about as close as you are going to get. The bottom side of the hood was blacked out quite thoroughly.The inside of the front lower valance was blacked out after all painting was done and there would be black overspray on ether side of the fenders inside where they attach because the entire front end was bolted together as a complete assembly before being installed in one piece on to the naked front end of the Shelby. Also the area where the park lights are installed was blacked out as well. I hope this helps. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline cjmustangman

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
Pete, 
I sent you an email, thanks again

Bob,
Thanks it's becoming a lot clearer now, I built a stand to paint the front fenders and lower valance together much like how it was originally done.
Arild